Ruby blogs

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Ian Macdonald, Apr 16, 2004.

  1. I'm messing around with the various blogging tools written using Ruby
    and for Ruby programmers.

    So far, I've tried rb.log and rublog. I like the power of the former,
    but I also like the elegant simplicity of the latter and the fact that
    rublog can now handle Movable Style stylesheets.

    One thing I wish I could do with rublog, however, is store my articles
    in .rhtml files and embed Ruby code in them, for execution by eRuby. It
    doesn't seem to be set up to do this. Am I mistaken about this or do I
    need to add this functionality myself?

    A second question regarding other mark-ups: has anyone added support for
    RedCloth, BlueCloth, etc.? I just want to know, before I set about doing
    it myself.

    Thanks,

    Ian
    --
    Ian Macdonald | If we don't survive, we don't do anything
    System Administrator | else. -- John Sinclair

    http://www.caliban.org |

    Ian Macdonald, Apr 16, 2004

  2. Ian Macdonald

    Jim Weirich Guest

    Ian Macdonald said:
    > A second question regarding other mark-ups: has anyone added support for
    > RedCloth, BlueCloth, etc.? I just want to know, before I set about doing
    > it myself.

    To do this, you need to write a converter, put it in the converters
    directory and then include it in your main blog script. Given that the
    bluecloth library handles the details of text=>html conversion, all you
    need is a few glue methods. Look at the existing converters for example.

    I did this in about 15 minutes for BlueCloth, starting from scratch and
    never looking at a converter before. Its really that easy.

    > One thing I wish I could do with rublog, however, is store my articles
    > in .rhtml files and embed Ruby code in them, for execution by eRuby. It
    > doesn't seem to be set up to do this. Am I mistaken about this or do I
    > need to add this functionality myself?

    Again, this is a matter of writing a converter. I've not used eruby, but
    if you can call eruby to turn a text string into HTML, then this would be
    as trivial as the BlueCloth conversion.

    Seriously, I'm terribly impressed with how easy it is to extend Rublog
    (Great job Dave!). I'd love to hear Chad's talk at the O'Reilly Open
    Source Convention
    (http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/os2004/view/e_sess/5322).

    --
    -- Jim Weirich http://onestepback.org
    Jim Weirich, Apr 16, 2004

  3. il Sat, 17 Apr 2004 03:03:42 +0900, Ian Macdonald <> ha
    scritto::

    >I'm messing around with the various blogging tools written using Ruby
    >and for Ruby programmers.

    and don't forget to subscribe to artima.com ruby buzz :)

    <snip>

    >A second question regarding other mark-ups: has anyone added support for
    >RedCloth, BlueCloth, etc.? I just want to know, before I set about doing
    >it myself.

    At least I know of:
    http://zh.yazzy.org/blog/archives/2004/01/09/rublog-textile-plugin/
    gabriele renzi, Apr 16, 2004
  4. On Fri, 2004-04-16 at 18:03, Ian Macdonald wrote:
    > I'm messing around with the various blogging tools written using Ruby
    > and for Ruby programmers.
    >
    > So far, I've tried rb.log and rublog. I like the power of the former,
    > but I also like the elegant simplicity of the latter and the fact that
    > rublog can now handle Movable Style stylesheets.

    Did you ever try tDiary? http://sourceforge.net/projects/tdiary/

    Stable, easy to install and use, extensible via plug-ins and themes,
    etc... Very nice.

    Cheers,

    --
    Laurent
    Laurent Sansonetti, Apr 16, 2004
  5. On Sat 17 Apr 2004 at 03:23:28 +0900, Chad Fowler wrote:

    > On Sat, 17 Apr 2004, Ian Macdonald wrote:
    >
    > # I'm messing around with the various blogging tools written using Ruby
    > # and for Ruby programmers.
    > #
    > # So far, I've tried rb.log and rublog. I like the power of the former,
    > # but I also like the elegant simplicity of the latter and the fact that
    > # rublog can now handle Movable Style stylesheets.
    > #
    > # One thing I wish I could do with rublog, however, is store my articles
    > # in .rhtml files and embed Ruby code in them, for execution by eRuby. It
    > # doesn't seem to be set up to do this. Am I mistaken about this or do I
    > # need to add this functionality myself?
    > #
    >
    > You would need to add that functionality yourself. It would be *really*
    > easy. Have a look at any of the files under "convertors/".
    >
    > # A second question regarding other mark-ups: has anyone added support for
    > # RedCloth, BlueCloth, etc.? I just want to know, before I set about doing
    > # it myself.
    > #
    >
    > I did BlueCloth. It's on my machine at home. You could probably do it
    > after looking at the files I mention above faster than I could get home
    > and send it to you. :)

    You were right!

    I haven't decided on which colour cloth I like yet, red or blue, so I
    made converters for both in just a few minutes. RubLog really does have
    a sweet architecture.

    Ian
    --
    Ian Macdonald | Nobody said computers were going to be
    System Administrator | polite.

    http://www.caliban.org |

    Ian Macdonald, Apr 17, 2004