Ruby climbed up to the 13th place in the Tiobe index

dblack

Hi --

In blitz interview with Bruce Tate, he says that does not know, use, or
has an opinion on the Ruby language yet.

Clarification: it's the interviewer, Yakov Fain, who says he doesn't
know Ruby, not Bruce Tate.
But since this language climbed up to the 13th place in the Tiobe
index, it deserves to be taken seriously.

Whoops, I started taking it seriously in 2000 -- I guess I jumped the
gun :)

David

----> SEE SPECIAL DEAL FOR RUBY/RAILS USERS GROUPS! <-----
http://dablog.rubypal.com => D[avid ]A[. ]B[lack's][ Web]log
http://www.manning.com/black => book, Ruby for Rails
http://www.rubycentral.org => Ruby Central, Inc.

darren kirby

--nextPart1237130.6OJJY92a2J

quoth the Robert Dober:
I just do not like these kind of ratings, I believe that they are
manipulatory, defending the interest of certain persons/lobbies and are
often very biased.
Am I wrong on this one?

Well, I don't know about the rankings being controlled by anyones interests=
,=20
this page:
http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm
states the rankings are based on search engine hits, which I really don't=20
think is a useful metric for anything but anecdotal evidence. The=20
whole 'status' ranking however does seem somewhat arbitrary, even after=20
reading the description of it.
=20
I would appreciate any point of view.
On one hand the site claims to define the ranking on available knowledge
acceptance etc. OTH it does not give any definition of cretira and uses
terms like Status that do not seem to be defined anywhere.
Enough to make a notorious pessimist very, very sceptic about it. :(

Yeah, I wouldn't put too much stock in it...about as useful as a googlefigh=
t!
Cheers
Robert

=2Dd
=2D-=20
=2D Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, June 1972