    With Codefetch you can search using punctuation as part of your query
    and you can use some handy regular expressions, such as .*, \b, and \s.

    Enjoy!

    cosmo, Oct 3, 2005

  2. cosmo

    James Britt Guest

    cosmo wrote:
    > Greetings!
    >
    > On Oct. 1 we pushed out a new version of Codefetch that supports search
    > of the Ruby API as well as the publically available source code from a
    > number of Ruby books. Try it out at http://ruby.codefetch.com
    >
    > With Codefetch you can search using punctuation as part of your query
    > and you can use some handy regular expressions, such as .*, \b, and \s.
    >
    > Enjoy!

    Nice. But why does it say "Ruby Rails", rather than simply "Ruby"?

    And no API docs are returned when I search, for example, on 'REXML'

    James

    James Britt, Oct 3, 2005

  3. cosmo

    cosmo Guest

    >>But why does it say "Ruby Rails", rather than simply "Ruby"?

    Really, it should say Ruby / Rails, and HTML CSS should be HTML / CSS.
    We mean to say that we include books on Rails in the index. We're
    working on adding the slash.

    >>no API docs are returned when I search, for example, on 'REXML'

    Right now we only index the core classes, not the stdlib. Sounds like
    we should include stdlib, eh? Shouldn't be a big deal-- I'll see what
    I can do.

    - cosmo

    cosmo, Oct 3, 2005
  4. cosmo

    cosmo Guest

    cosmo wrote:
    > >>no API docs are returned when I search, for example, on 'REXML'

    > Right now we only index the core classes, not the stdlib.

    It looks like indexing the stdlib would flummox our scanner because
    there are class names that are identical to core class names. Am I
    missing something, or are some classes simply documented twice, once in
    stdlib and once in core? An example of this would be the class
    "abbrev".

    - cosmo

    cosmo, Oct 3, 2005
  5. On 10/3/05, cosmo <> wrote:

    > > Right now we only index the core classes, not the stdlib.

    > It looks like indexing the stdlib would flummox our scanner because
    > there are class names that are identical to core class names. Am I
    > missing something, or are some classes simply documented twice, once in
    > stdlib and once in core? An example of this would be the class
    > "abbrev".

    How are you trying to index? You *do* realize that classes are
    completely open in Ruby, don't you, allowing stdlib to add new
    methods, etc. that aren't supported/in the C-based core Ruby?

    And, please, as James said, it isn't "Ruby Rails". It's just "Ruby".
    Rails is just an application framework on top of Ruby. Ruby makes
    Rails possible, not the other way around.

    -austin
    --
    Austin Ziegler *
    * Alternate:

    Austin Ziegler, Oct 4, 2005
  6. cosmo

    Gene Tani Guest

    maybe run the ruby C source through your tokenizer/indexer and then we
    can compare to gonzui

    Gene Tani, Oct 4, 2005
  7. cosmo

    cosmo Guest

    >> You *do* realize that classes are
    >>completely open in Ruby, don't you, allowing stdlib to add new
    >>methods, etc. that aren't supported/in the C-based core Ruby?

    No I didn't, (I've haven't yet had the pleasure of using Ruby), and in
    fact I didn't understand what you meant until right now. Hmmm. I'll
    have to see how our indexer can handle this situation.

    In the meantime, the core Ruby api is indexed as is the Ruby on Rails
    API and also, as an experiment, the REXML API. Also, the format of api
    search results has been adjusted to better accommodate long class
    names.

    The category is now Ruby / Rails to indicate that our search includes
    info on pure Ruby as well as Ruby on Rails.

    These changes went live Friday morning, Oct 7, at
    http://ruby.codefetch.com

    - cosmo

    cosmo, Oct 7, 2005