    So... what is the good method? Start a new post in Ruby Forum so that
    it can get to the biggest audience group. But then, check answers in
    all 3 places?
    Kenneth LL, Sep 16, 2007

  2. Kenneth LL

    Marc Heiler Guest

    > So... what is the good method? Start a new post in Ruby Forum so that
    > it can get to the biggest audience group. But then, check answers in
    > all 3 places?

    I dont know but I rarely check on the mailing list these days with this
    forum here available.
    Marc Heiler, Sep 16, 2007

  3. Kenneth LL

    Summercool Guest

    On Sep 16, 5:41 am, Marc Heiler <> wrote:
    > > So... what is the good method? Start a new post in Ruby Forum so that
    > > it can get to the biggest audience group. But then, check answers in
    > > all 3 places?

    this is replying from comp.lang.ruby
    let's see where it will get to...
    Summercool, Sep 16, 2007
  4. Kenneth LL

    Summercool Guest

    On Sep 16, 5:41 am, Marc Heiler <> wrote:
    > > So... what is the good method? Start a new post in Ruby Forum so that
    > > it can get to the biggest audience group. But then, check answers in
    > > all 3 places?

    this is replying from Google's Ruby Talk...
    let's see where it will get to...
    Summercool, Sep 16, 2007
  5. Marc Heiler wrote:
    >> So... what is the good method? Start a new post in Ruby Forum so that
    >> it can get to the biggest audience group. But then, check answers in
    >> all 3 places?

    Looks like

    Ruby Forum > ( Ruby Talk = comp.lang.ruby )

    posting to Ruby Forumwill post to all three

    posting to Ruby Talk or comp.lang.ruby will automatically post to the
    other, but won't go to Ruby Forum.

    so if you ask a question here, there might be answer in comp.lang.ruby
    waiting for you which you didn't know about, unless you subscribe to
    Ruby Talk or comp.lang.ruby by email.

    Summercool Summercool, Sep 16, 2007
  6. Summercool Summercool wrote:

    > so if you ask a question here, there might be answer in comp.lang.ruby
    > waiting for you which you didn't know about, unless you subscribe to
    > Ruby Talk or comp.lang.ruby by email.

    so if you want an answer or a new posting to get to the widest audience
    group, always use Ruby Forum to post...

    Summercool Summercool, Sep 16, 2007
  7. Kenneth LL

    Konrad Meyer Guest

    --nextPart1194672.KaCYCRLeru

    Quoth Summercool Summercool:
    > Marc Heiler wrote:
    > >> So... what is the good method? Start a new post in Ruby Forum so th=

    at
    > >> it can get to the biggest audience group. But then, check answers in
    > >> all 3 places?

    >=20
    > Looks like
    >=20
    > Ruby Forum > ( Ruby Talk =3D comp.lang.ruby )
    >=20
    > posting to Ruby Forumwill post to all three
    >=20
    > posting to Ruby Talk or comp.lang.ruby will automatically post to the=20
    > other, but won't go to Ruby Forum.
    >=20
    > so if you ask a question here, there might be answer in comp.lang.ruby=20
    > waiting for you which you didn't know about, unless you subscribe to=20
    > Ruby Talk or comp.lang.ruby by email.

    I'm pretty sure ruby-forum and ruby-talk are inter-changeable (so long as
    you're subscribed) and I'd imagine with the ruby-talk <-> usenet gateway
    that the same goes for usenet, though I've not seen messages marked as from
    there.

    =2D-=20
    Konrad Meyer <> http://konrad.sobertillnoon.com/

    Konrad Meyer, Sep 16, 2007
  8. On 16.09.2007 15:13, Konrad Meyer wrote:
    > Quoth Summercool Summercool:

    >> Looks like
    >>
    >> Ruby Forum > ( Ruby Talk = comp.lang.ruby )
    >>
    >> posting to Ruby Forumwill post to all three
    >>
    >> posting to Ruby Talk or comp.lang.ruby will automatically post to the
    >> other, but won't go to Ruby Forum.
    >>
    >> so if you ask a question here, there might be answer in comp.lang.ruby
    >> waiting for you which you didn't know about, unless you subscribe to
    >> Ruby Talk or comp.lang.ruby by email.

    > I'm pretty sure ruby-forum and ruby-talk are inter-changeable (so long as
    > you're subscribed) and I'd imagine with the ruby-talk <-> usenet gateway
    > that the same goes for usenet, though I've not seen messages marked as from
    > there.

    You are right. The only issue I am aware of ATM is that the news->email
    gateway has some delays on the news side. We probably can't do much
    about it but you should be aware of this.

    Kind regards

    robert
    Robert Klemme, Sep 16, 2007
  9. On Sep 16, 2007, at 9:50 AM, Robert Klemme wrote:

    > The only issue I am aware of ATM is that the news->email gateway
    > has some delays on the news side. We probably can't do much about
    > it but you should be aware of this.

    The half of the gateway that reads news messages and sends them as
    emails runs as a cron job every five minutes. If the message has hit
    our host by the next run, that should be the biggest delay.

    James Edward Gray II
    James Edward Gray II, Sep 16, 2007
  10. On Sep 16, 2007, at 7:11 AM, Kenneth LL wrote:

    > so it seems like Google created Ruby Talk=85

    I don't understand this comment. Google did not create Ruby Talk.

    > but then people replying on the comp.lang.ruby will not get the answer
    > through to the Ruby Talk poster...

    The gateway between Ruby Talk and comp.lang.ruby ferries messages =20
    both ways, so I don't understand what you are saying here either.

    James Edward Gray II
    James Edward Gray II, Sep 16, 2007
  11. On Sep 16, 2007, at 1:10 PM, Jay Levitt wrote:

    > On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 16:48:34 +0200, Robert Klemme wrote:
    >
    >>> I'm pretty sure ruby-forum and ruby-talk are inter-changeable (so
    >>> long as
    >>> you're subscribed) and I'd imagine with the ruby-talk <-> usenet
    >>> gateway
    >>> that the same goes for usenet, though I've not seen messages
    >>> marked as from
    >>> there.

    >> You are right. The only issue I am aware of ATM is that the news-
    >> >email

    >> gateway has some delays on the news side. We probably can't do much
    >> about it but you should be aware of this.

    > Hmm.. how long are those delays? Summercool posted messages from
    > comp.lang.ruby about 6 hours ago that still aren't showing on ruby-
    > talk.

    Can you point me at the message you are referring to so I can see
    what happened to it? Thanks.

    James Edward Gray II
    James Edward Gray II, Sep 16, 2007
  12. On 16.09.2007 17:27, James Edward Gray II wrote:
    > On Sep 16, 2007, at 9:50 AM, Robert Klemme wrote:
    >
    >> The only issue I am aware of ATM is that the news->email gateway has
    >> some delays on the news side. We probably can't do much about it but
    >> you should be aware of this.

    > The half of the gateway that reads news messages and sends them as
    > emails runs as a cron job every five minutes. If the message has hit
    > our host by the next run, that should be the biggest delay.

    IIRC we had an email exchange about the phenomenon a few weeks ago and
    agreed that the biggest part of the delay was not in the gateway but in
    the NNTP path from the posting site to the GW's news server. There's
    probably nothing we can do about other than changing the news provider.
    But I believe someone mentioned that this is not easy because news
    provider generally prohibit this kind of mirroring business in their rules.

    Kind regards

    robert
    Robert Klemme, Sep 16, 2007
  13. On Sep 16, 2007, at 2:20 PM, Jay Levitt wrote:

    > On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 04:06:56 +0900, James Edward Gray II wrote:
    >
    >>> Hmm.. how long are those delays? Summercool posted messages from
    >>> comp.lang.ruby about 6 hours ago that still aren't showing on ruby-
    >>> talk.

    >> Can you point me at the message you are referring to so I can see
    >> what happened to it? Thanks.

    > Here you go:

    I see this message on Ruby Talk:

    http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/269262

    I also see it on comp.lang.ruby:

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/msg/9c0b3b288942c147

    Everything seems OK to me. Am I missing something?

    James Edward Gray II
    James Edward Gray II, Sep 16, 2007
  14. Kenneth LL

    Summercool Guest

    So, can I assume that

    Ruby Talk == comp.lang.ruby ?

    and then Ruby Forum post its messages to Ruby Talk/comp.lang.ruby
    but never get the posts from there back to Ruby Forum?
    Summercool, Sep 17, 2007
  15. Kenneth LL

    Summercool Guest

    On Sep 16, 8:30 am, James Edward Gray II <>
    wrote:
    > On Sep 16, 2007, at 7:11 AM, Kenneth LL wrote:
    >
    > > so it seems like Google created Ruby Talk...

    > I don't understand this comment. Google did not create Ruby Talk.

    so is it that Ruby Talk was first created by Matz... and then Google
    just makes a mirror of it?

    Where is the official place for Ruby Talk?
    Summercool, Sep 17, 2007
  16. On Sep 16, 2007, at 8:35 PM, Summercool wrote:

    > So, can I assume that
    >
    > Ruby Talk == comp.lang.ruby ?

    It's suppose to. There are a small percentage of messages that
    aren't gated, for practical reasons. But, on the whole, yes.

    James Edward Gray II
    James Edward Gray II, Sep 17, 2007
  17. On Sep 16, 2007, at 8:35 PM, Summercool wrote:

    > On Sep 16, 8:30 am, James Edward Gray II <>
    > wrote:
    >> On Sep 16, 2007, at 7:11 AM, Kenneth LL wrote:
    >>
    >>> so it seems like Google created Ruby Talk...

    >> I don't understand this comment. Google did not create Ruby Talk.

    > so is it that Ruby Talk was first created by Matz... and then Google
    > just makes a mirror of it?

    Someone created the Google mirror, yes.

    > Where is the official place for Ruby Talk?

    http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/

    James Edward Gray II
    James Edward Gray II, Sep 17, 2007
  18. Kenneth LL

    Jano Svitok Guest

    On 9/17/07, Summercool <> wrote:
    > So, can I assume that
    >
    > Ruby Talk == comp.lang.ruby ?
    >
    > and then Ruby Forum post its messages to Ruby Talk/comp.lang.ruby
    > but never get the posts from there back to Ruby Forum?

    Perhaps you should tell the ruby-forum maintainer to check for
    possible problems, with the same info as you provided to James? For me
    it seems to be a problem on their (receving) side (unless it's settled
    already).
    Jano Svitok, Sep 17, 2007
  19. Ruby-Forum is connected to the mailing list. All posts from the forum
    are sent to the mailing list; the other way round is a bit more
    difficult. The gateway was a bit flaky in this direction, and in case of
    a temporary outage the mails from that period wouldn't be processed
    automatically when the software came back up. I'm importing all the
    missing posts that have accumulated right now, which will be quite a
    flood...

    The good news is that I have completely rewritten the gateway software
    today, it's much more robust now, and I am confident that problems like
    this won't happen anymore. Sorry for the trouble.

    Regards,
    Andreas
    Andreas Schwarz, Sep 25, 2007