Ruby Forum > Ruby Talk > comp.lang.ruby ?

Kenneth LL

so it seems like Google created Ruby Talk and anything posted to Ruby
Talk will post to comp.lang.ruby.

but then people replying on the comp.lang.ruby will not get the answer
through to the Ruby Talk poster...

and then, Ruby Forum is even on top of Ruby Talk and comp.lang.ruby...
so people replying in Ruby Talk or comp.lang.ruby will not get the
answer through to Ruby Forum...

So... what is the good method? Start a new post in Ruby Forum so that
it can get to the biggest audience group. But then, check answers in
all 3 places?

Marc Heiler

So... what is the good method? Start a new post in Ruby Forum so that
it can get to the biggest audience group. But then, check answers in
all 3 places?

I dont know but I rarely check on the mailing list these days with this
forum here available.

Summercool Summercool

Looks like

Ruby Forum > ( Ruby Talk = comp.lang.ruby )

posting to Ruby Forumwill post to all three

posting to Ruby Talk or comp.lang.ruby will automatically post to the
other, but won't go to Ruby Forum.

so if you ask a question here, there might be answer in comp.lang.ruby
waiting for you which you didn't know about, unless you subscribe to
Ruby Talk or comp.lang.ruby by email.

Summercool Summercool

Summercool said:
so if you ask a question here, there might be answer in comp.lang.ruby
waiting for you which you didn't know about, unless you subscribe to
Ruby Talk or comp.lang.ruby by email.

so if you want an answer or a new posting to get to the widest audience
group, always use Ruby Forum to post...

Konrad Meyer

--nextPart1194672.KaCYCRLeru

Quoth Summercool Summercool:
=20
Looks like
=20
Ruby Forum > ( Ruby Talk =3D comp.lang.ruby )
=20
posting to Ruby Forumwill post to all three
=20
posting to Ruby Talk or comp.lang.ruby will automatically post to the=20
other, but won't go to Ruby Forum.
=20
so if you ask a question here, there might be answer in comp.lang.ruby=20
waiting for you which you didn't know about, unless you subscribe to=20
Ruby Talk or comp.lang.ruby by email.

I'm pretty sure ruby-forum and ruby-talk are inter-changeable (so long as
you're subscribed) and I'd imagine with the ruby-talk <-> usenet gateway
that the same goes for usenet, though I've not seen messages marked as from
there.

=2D-=20
Konrad Meyer <[email protected]> http://konrad.sobertillnoon.com/

--nextPart1194672.KaCYCRLeru

--nextPart1194672.KaCYCRLeru--

Robert Klemme

Quoth Summercool Summercool:

I'm pretty sure ruby-forum and ruby-talk are inter-changeable (so long as
you're subscribed) and I'd imagine with the ruby-talk <-> usenet gateway
that the same goes for usenet, though I've not seen messages marked as from
there.

You are right. The only issue I am aware of ATM is that the news->email
gateway has some delays on the news side. We probably can't do much
about it but you should be aware of this.

Kind regards

robert

James Edward Gray II

The only issue I am aware of ATM is that the news->email gateway
has some delays on the news side. We probably can't do much about
it but you should be aware of this.

The half of the gateway that reads news messages and sends them as
emails runs as a cron job every five minutes. If the message has hit
our host by the next run, that should be the biggest delay.

James Edward Gray II

James Edward Gray II

so it seems like Google created Ruby Talk=85

I don't understand this comment. Google did not create Ruby Talk.
but then people replying on the comp.lang.ruby will not get the answer
through to the Ruby Talk poster...

The gateway between Ruby Talk and comp.lang.ruby ferries messages =20
both ways, so I don't understand what you are saying here either.

James Edward Gray II

James Edward Gray II

Hmm.. how long are those delays? Summercool posted messages from
comp.lang.ruby about 6 hours ago that still aren't showing on ruby-
talk.

Can you point me at the message you are referring to so I can see
what happened to it? Thanks.

James Edward Gray II

Robert Klemme

The half of the gateway that reads news messages and sends them as
emails runs as a cron job every five minutes. If the message has hit
our host by the next run, that should be the biggest delay.

IIRC we had an email exchange about the phenomenon a few weeks ago and
agreed that the biggest part of the delay was not in the gateway but in
the NNTP path from the posting site to the GW's news server. There's
probably nothing we can do about other than changing the news provider.
But I believe someone mentioned that this is not easy because news
provider generally prohibit this kind of mirroring business in their rules.

Kind regards

robert

Summercool

So, can I assume that

Ruby Talk == comp.lang.ruby ?

and then Ruby Forum post its messages to Ruby Talk/comp.lang.ruby
but never get the posts from there back to Ruby Forum?

Summercool

I don't understand this comment. Google did not create Ruby Talk.

so is it that Ruby Talk was first created by Matz... and then Google
just makes a mirror of it?

Where is the official place for Ruby Talk?

James Edward Gray II

So, can I assume that

Ruby Talk == comp.lang.ruby ?

It's suppose to. There are a small percentage of messages that
aren't gated, for practical reasons. But, on the whole, yes.

James Edward Gray II

Jano Svitok

So, can I assume that

Ruby Talk == comp.lang.ruby ?

and then Ruby Forum post its messages to Ruby Talk/comp.lang.ruby
but never get the posts from there back to Ruby Forum?

Perhaps you should tell the ruby-forum maintainer to check for
possible problems, with the same info as you provided to James? For me
it seems to be a problem on their (receving) side (unless it's settled
already).

Andreas Schwarz

Ruby-Forum is connected to the mailing list. All posts from the forum
are sent to the mailing list; the other way round is a bit more
difficult. The gateway was a bit flaky in this direction, and in case of
a temporary outage the mails from that period wouldn't be processed
automatically when the software came back up. I'm importing all the
missing posts that have accumulated right now, which will be quite a
flood...

The good news is that I have completely rewritten the gateway software
today, it's much more robust now, and I am confident that problems like
this won't happen anymore. Sorry for the trouble.

Regards,
Andreas