ruby-talk, comp.lang.ruby, ruby-talk-google

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Phrogz, Sep 5, 2006.

  1. Phrogz

    Phrogz Guest

    Where does the third fit into the equation?

    I browse ruby-talk via the comp.lang.ruby group on Google Groups.
    Barring gateway troubles, I think I see posts by everyone on the
    mailing list. When I post via comp.lang.ruby, I see my posts being
    archived in the ruby-talk archive, appearing in ruby-talk-google, and
    being responded to by those I know use the mailing list.

    So it looks to me like ruby-talk and comp.lang.ruby are syncing well
    (on the whole). Why is there a "ruby-talk-google" group on google,
    whose description states:

    "This is a mirror list of the offical ruby-talk mailing list. It serves
    as a replacement for the old mail<->news gateway (comp.lang.ruby). It
    exists to provide access to the mailing list via the convenience of
    Google Groups web-based client. (272 members)"

    Is it somehow more reliable? Should I be using that instead of
    comp.lang.ruby?
     
    Phrogz, Sep 5, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Phrogz wrote:
    > It
    > exists to provide access to the mailing list via the convenience of
    > Google Groups web-based client. (272 members)"


    I think this is the answer, here. Someone wanted easy access via a
    Google app and create it.

    > Is it somehow more reliable? Should I be using that instead of
    > comp.lang.ruby?


    Plenty of people use comp.lang.ruby daily, and it actually seems to be a
    bit more reliable than ruby-forum (in my limited experience), so I don't
    think you need to bother switching.

    I think the whole 'replacement' bit was someone trying to make it sound
    more important than it is.

    If you're really worried about 'reliability', the mailing list is pretty
    much the main method here, so that would be the way to go.

    Having said all that, I still use ruby-forum because it's more
    convenient for me.

    --
    Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
     
    William Crawford, Sep 5, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Phrogz

    Trans Guest

    Phrogz wrote:
    > Where does the third fit into the equation?
    >
    > I browse ruby-talk via the comp.lang.ruby group on Google Groups.
    > Barring gateway troubles, I think I see posts by everyone on the
    > mailing list. When I post via comp.lang.ruby, I see my posts being
    > archived in the ruby-talk archive, appearing in ruby-talk-google, and
    > being responded to by those I know use the mailing list.
    >
    > So it looks to me like ruby-talk and comp.lang.ruby are syncing well
    > (on the whole). Why is there a "ruby-talk-google" group on google,
    > whose description states:
    >
    > "This is a mirror list of the offical ruby-talk mailing list. It serves
    > as a replacement for the old mail<->news gateway (comp.lang.ruby). It
    > exists to provide access to the mailing list via the convenience of
    > Google Groups web-based client. (272 members)"
    >
    > Is it somehow more reliable? Should I be using that instead of
    > comp.lang.ruby?


    Hi--

    I set this up the last time the gateway went down. At that time it
    looked like the gateway was going to stay down for good. I prefer the
    Google Groups interface so I set up ruby-talk-google to ensure that
    capability. Of course, the gateway was eventually restored thanks to
    the hard work James Edward Gray II and friends. So now ruby-talk-google
    isn't absolutely neccessary, but it does serve as a backup in case the
    gateway ever goes down again. And it doesn't really matter which one
    you use, since ruby-talk-google just fowards all posts to ruby-talk and
    vice-versa.

    T.
     
    Trans, Sep 5, 2006
    #3
  4. On 9/5/06, Phrogz <> wrote:
    > Where does the third fit into the equation?
    >
    > I browse ruby-talk via the comp.lang.ruby group on Google Groups.
    > Barring gateway troubles, I think I see posts by everyone on the
    > mailing list. When I post via comp.lang.ruby, I see my posts being
    > archived in the ruby-talk archive, appearing in ruby-talk-google, and
    > being responded to by those I know use the mailing list.
    >
    > So it looks to me like ruby-talk and comp.lang.ruby are syncing well
    > (on the whole).


    Hmmmm. I wasn't aware of the connection between ruby-talk and comp.lang.ruby

    Is that why posts appear here whose authors seem oblivious to the
    ruby-talk audience? If a posting is cross-posted to comp.lang.ruby
    and other groups like comp.lang.python, or comp.lang.c++ is that
    information stripped out by whatever gateway links ruby-talk and
    comp.lang.ruby?

    Just curious.
    --
    Rick DeNatale

    My blog on Ruby
    http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/
     
    Rick DeNatale, Sep 5, 2006
    #4
  5. On 9/5/06, Rick DeNatale <> wrote:
    > Is that why posts appear here whose authors seem oblivious to the
    > ruby-talk audience? If a posting is cross-posted to comp.lang.ruby
    > and other groups like comp.lang.python, or comp.lang.c++ is that
    > information stripped out by whatever gateway links ruby-talk and
    > comp.lang.ruby?


    Yup.

    -austin
    --
    Austin Ziegler * * http://www.halostatue.ca/
    * * http://www.halostatue.ca/feed/
    *
     
    Austin Ziegler, Sep 6, 2006
    #5
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.

Share This Page