Ruby GUI with IDE

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Josh Mr., Nov 11, 2006.

  1. Josh Mr.

    Josh Mr. Guest

    Hello all,

    I am currently looking for a good easy to use IDE that includes GUI
    development as well. Something like how C++ has DevC++ that suppots
    wxWidgets and allows you to code and create frames at the same time. I
    want something like this for Ruby. I have found VisualWx which supports
    Ruby but I could not seem to get it to work at all. Right now I'm having
    to develop my frame using Farpy (http://farpy.holev.com/), export it,
    and then add any additional code in another IDE. This slows down the
    process by a lot because any changes I make to the GUI forces me to
    export it again and manually make the changes to my original source.

    So, my question is what's a good GUI toolkit that has a really nice IDE
    that supports Ruby?

    Cheers,
    ~ Josh

    Josh Mr., Nov 11, 2006

  2. Josh Mr. wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I am currently looking for a good easy to use IDE that includes GUI
    > development as well. Something like how C++ has DevC++ that suppots
    > wxWidgets and allows you to code and create frames at the same time. I
    > want something like this for Ruby. I have found VisualWx which supports
    > Ruby but I could not seem to get it to work at all. Right now I'm having
    > to develop my frame using Farpy (http://farpy.holev.com/), export it,
    > and then add any additional code in another IDE. This slows down the
    > process by a lot because any changes I make to the GUI forces me to
    > export it again and manually make the changes to my original source.
    >
    > So, my question is what's a good GUI toolkit that has a really nice IDE
    > that supports Ruby?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > ~ Josh

    This should be a FAQ. :) There are quite a few -- my favorite (on Linux)
    is Kommander/Korundum/QTRuby.

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, FBG, AB, PTA, MS, MNLP, NST, ACMC(P)
    http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Nov 11, 2006

  3. Josh Mr.

    AliasX Neo Guest

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
    > This should be a FAQ. :) There are quite a few -- my favorite (on Linux)
    > is Kommander/Korundum/QTRuby.

    > M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, FBG, AB, PTA, MS, MNLP, NST, ACMC(P)
    > http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/
    >
    > If God had meant for carrots to be eaten cooked, He would have given
    > rabbits fire.

    I'm running Windows, any good ones for that?

    AliasX Neo, Nov 11, 2006
  4. --------------enig00D162D28BF5E7B0E8394D29

    AliasX Neo wrote:
    > M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
    >> This should be a FAQ. :) There are quite a few -- my favorite (on Linu=

    x)
    >> is Kommander/Korundum/QTRuby.
    >>

    >> --
    >>
    >> --
    >> M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, FBG, AB, PTA, MS, MNLP, NST, ACMC(P)
    >> http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/
    >>
    >> If God had meant for carrots to be eaten cooked, He would have given=20
    >> rabbits fire.

    >=20
    > I'm running Windows, any good ones for that?
    >=20

    The short answer: no.

    The long answer:

    If you manage to port qtruby4 to Windows, you get QtDesigner (overall
    Qt4 seems to be designed to have the GUI layout created in that,
    decoupling the UI design and behaviour implementations.) Things like
    rubyuic should work the same on all platforms.

    Another hope is the wx rewrite getting into a stable state, and wxGlade
    supporting emitting of Ruby code. This is however just speculation.

    Personally, if you need to do this sort of GUI development on Windows,
    Ruby is so far rough around the edges.

    David Vallner

    David Vallner, Nov 11, 2006
  5. Josh Mr.

    AliasX Neo Guest

    David Vallner wrote:

    > The short answer: no.
    >
    > The long answer:
    >
    > If you manage to port qtruby4 to Windows, you get QtDesigner (overall
    > Qt4 seems to be designed to have the GUI layout created in that,
    > decoupling the UI design and behaviour implementations.) Things like
    > rubyuic should work the same on all platforms.
    >
    > Another hope is the wx rewrite getting into a stable state, and wxGlade
    > supporting emitting of Ruby code. This is however just speculation.
    >
    > Personally, if you need to do this sort of GUI development on Windows,
    > Ruby is so far rough around the edges.
    >
    > David Vallner

    That's what I figured, I guess I'm going to have to stick to ugly
    command line programs.

    Thanks anyways.

    AliasX Neo, Nov 11, 2006
  6. David Vallner wrote:
    > AliasX Neo wrote:
    >
    >> M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
    >>
    >>> This should be a FAQ. :) There are quite a few -- my favorite (on Linux)
    >>> is Kommander/Korundum/QTRuby.
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, FBG, AB, PTA, MS, MNLP, NST, ACMC(P)
    >>> http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/
    >>>
    >>> If God had meant for carrots to be eaten cooked, He would have given
    >>> rabbits fire.
    >>>

    >> I'm running Windows, any good ones for that?
    >>

    > The short answer: no.
    >
    > The long answer:
    >
    > If you manage to port qtruby4 to Windows, you get QtDesigner (overall
    > Qt4 seems to be designed to have the GUI layout created in that,
    > decoupling the UI design and behaviour implementations.) Things like
    > rubyuic should work the same on all platforms.

    IIRC Caleb Tennis posted some encouraging words on this a couple of
    weeks ago. I don't do Windows development, so I haven't even attempted
    to make this work.

    > Another hope is the wx rewrite getting into a stable state, and wxGlade
    > supporting emitting of Ruby code. This is however just speculation.
    >
    > Personally, if you need to do this sort of GUI development on Windows,
    > Ruby is so far rough around the edges.

    Well, there's always CygWin <ducking>

    But seriously, both the One-Click Installer and Instant Rails contain
    FreeRide and the dependencies FXRuby and Fox. If you don't mind spending
    some money, some combination of the ActiveState tool set (ActiveTcl,
    Komodo 4, etc.) and the One-Click Installer or Instant Rails ought to be
    workable. So should the Sapphire In Steel IDE that hooks into Visual
    Studio. I don't know what shape the various Ruby/CLR projects are in, so
    I can't comment on them. jRuby 1.0 will probably be better than any of
    them, but I don't know how long it will be till that release.

    http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Nov 11, 2006
  7. Josh Mr.

    AliasX Neo Guest

    > Well, there's always CygWin <ducking>
    >
    > But seriously, both the One-Click Installer and Instant Rails contain
    > FreeRide and the dependencies FXRuby and Fox. If you don't mind spending
    > some money, some combination of the ActiveState tool set (ActiveTcl,
    > Komodo 4, etc.) and the One-Click Installer or Instant Rails ought to be
    > workable. So should the Sapphire In Steel IDE that hooks into Visual
    > Studio. I don't know what shape the various Ruby/CLR projects are in, so
    > I can't comment on them. jRuby 1.0 will probably be better than any of
    > them, but I don't know how long it will be till that release.

    You lost me there with the combination of ActiveState tools.

    AliasX Neo, Nov 11, 2006
  8. --------------enig829E05CBFA9827711E29C7DE

    AliasX Neo wrote:
    > You lost me there with the combination of ActiveState tools.
    >=20

    ActiveState Komodo supports targetting Ruby/Tk from its GUI builder, it
    seems.

    It's just that... Well... Ugh, Tk. <ducking yet faster>

    David Vallner

    David Vallner, Nov 11, 2006
  9. Josh Mr.

    AliasX Neo Guest

    David Vallner wrote:
    > AliasX Neo wrote:
    >> You lost me there with the combination of ActiveState tools.
    >>

    > ActiveState Komodo supports targetting Ruby/Tk from its GUI builder, it
    > seems.
    >
    > It's just that... Well... Ugh, Tk. <ducking yet faster>
    >
    > David Vallner

    I wasn't aware it has a GUI builder. I have ActiveState Komodo 3.5
    installed on my computer right now. Is there some extension I need?

    AliasX Neo, Nov 11, 2006
  10. Josh Mr.

    Caleb Tennis Guest

    > IIRC Caleb Tennis posted some encouraging words on this a couple of
    > weeks ago. I don't do Windows development, so I haven't even
    > attempted to make this work.

    The word on the street is that it works, with a little coercion. It
    sounds like the biggest issue is the build system, which was designed
    for *nix.

    I haven't verified because I'm not familiar with Windows development
    and am too covered up to go down that path. I think Richard's in the
    same boat.

    We just need someone to figure out what needs to be done and tidy up
    the process. :)

    Caleb

    Caleb Tennis, Nov 11, 2006
  11. Josh Mr.

    AliasX Neo Guest

    So I guess a better format for my original question should be:

    Windows users, what do you do to develop GUI's for Ruby?

    AliasX Neo, Nov 11, 2006
  12. --------------enig5B64BC891453E56F7C093952

    AliasX Neo wrote:
    > Windows users, what do you do to develop GUI's for Ruby?
    >=20

    Handcode / use Python.

    David Vallner

    David Vallner, Nov 11, 2006
  13. David Vallner wrote:
    > AliasX Neo wrote:
    >
    >> Windows users, what do you do to develop GUI's for Ruby?
    >>

    > Handcode / use Python.
    >
    > David Vallner

    Use commercial Microsoft tools, just like they teach you about in the
    Microsoft Certification courses

    <ducking>

    http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Nov 11, 2006
  14. AliasX Neo wrote:
    > David Vallner wrote:
    >
    >> AliasX Neo wrote:
    >>
    >>> You lost me there with the combination of ActiveState tools.
    >>>

    >> ActiveState Komodo supports targetting Ruby/Tk from its GUI builder, it
    >> seems.
    >>
    >> It's just that... Well... Ugh, Tk. <ducking yet faster>
    >>
    >> David Vallner
    >>

    > I wasn't aware it has a GUI builder. I have ActiveState Komodo 3.5
    > installed on my computer right now. Is there some extension I need?

    Try the Komodo 4 beta.

    http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Nov 11, 2006
  15. --------------enig3674A48501E1387F3429F9B0

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
    > David Vallner wrote:
    >> AliasX Neo wrote:
    >> =20
    >>> Windows users, what do you do to develop GUI's for Ruby?
    >>>
    >>> =20

    >> Handcode / use Python.
    >>
    >> David Vallner
    >>
    >> =20

    > Use commercial Microsoft tools, just like they teach you about in the
    > Microsoft Certification courses
    >=20
    > <ducking>
    >=20

    You're evil. So very evil.

    (And unfortunately right. MSVS+VB6 by far holds the record in
    approachable RAD GUIs. Of abysmal quality, but oh, the quantity and
    sheer scope of people making them.)

    David Vallner

    David Vallner, Nov 12, 2006
  16. David Vallner wrote:
    > M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
    >
    >> David Vallner wrote:

    >>> Handcode / use Python.
    >>>
    >>> David Vallner
    >>>

    >> Use commercial Microsoft tools, just like they teach you about in the
    >> Microsoft Certification courses
    >>
    >> <ducking>
    >>

    > You're evil. So very evil.
    >
    > (And unfortunately right. MSVS+VB6 by far holds the record in
    > approachable RAD GUIs. Of abysmal quality, but oh, the quantity and
    > sheer scope of people making them.)
    >
    > David Vallner

    But a QTDesigner GUI is a lot prettier than the ones I've seen come out
    of VBA, Even a Tcl/Tk GUI looks better than most of the VBA default
    dialog boxes.

    http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Nov 12, 2006
  17. --------------enig944C462694D0799568282E7C

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
    > But a QTDesigner GUI is a lot prettier than the ones I've seen come out=

    > of VBA, Even a Tcl/Tk GUI looks better than most of the VBA default
    > dialog boxes.
    >=20

    Well, I never said they looked pretty. Just did the job, for given
    values of the term, for amazing numbers of people. (Who coincidentally
    weren't their own users. Explains a lot.)

    VBA =3D managers. Managers =3D control freaks. I'm forced to use a hacked=

    version of Windows XP on my work laptop. Nothing says "I hate my users"
    like an always-on-top, unmovable popup asking you if you want to reboot
    your computer for updates now or in 30 minutes. With pixel-positioned
    controls, unresizable, taking up 1/9 of the screen in the middle.

    (The flamewar on whether to empower users that are Unqualified and Proud
    Of It to be able to create things to be imposed on others is old, very
    old. The fact that given any number of assistive tools and sensible
    defaults they will do it in the worst way possible anyway well-known :p)

    David Vallner

    David Vallner, Nov 12, 2006
  18. On 11/12/06, David Vallner <> wrote:
    > M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
    > > David Vallner wrote:

    > >> Handcode / use Python.
    > >>
    > >> David Vallner
    > >>

    > > Use commercial Microsoft tools, just like they teach you about in the
    > > Microsoft Certification courses
    > >
    > > <ducking>
    > >

    > You're evil. So very evil.
    >
    > (And unfortunately right. MSVS+VB6 by far holds the record in
    > approachable RAD GUIs. Of abysmal quality, but oh, the quantity and
    > sheer scope of people making them.)

    I think Visual Studio 2005 is great. Controls on forms are pixel
    positioned, but you can anchor any side so that they can be resized,
    and it's a quick thing to set minimum and maximum sizes. If you anchor
    opposite sides, the control resizes itself as its container resizes.
    It's very easy to design and seems to work well. I could never get
    used to the pain of the X-Windows way, with inserting all kinds of
    sizers and spacers that don't seem to need to be there. What is the
    advantage over the MS way?

    --
    Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather
    than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always

    - Prokhor Zakharov

    Leslie Viljoen, Nov 12, 2006
  19. AliasX Neo wrote:
    > So I guess a better format for my original question should be:
    >
    > Windows users, what do you do to develop GUI's for Ruby?

    foxGUIb (http://fox-tool.rubyforge.org/) is a possible option,
    but is mainly a gui for building guis, not an IDE in its
    own right.

    David Roberts, Nov 12, 2006
  20. On 11/12/06, Robert Dober <> wrote:
    > On 11/11/06, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <> wrote:<snipping>
    >

    > > <ducking>

    > It has been a pleasure reading your posts, RIP ;)
    >
    > But I agree with what you have said before (this sentence can be applied
    > once only!).
    >
    > There should be a FAQ, and yes I volunteer to work on it!!!!, and if there
    > was a FAQ this should be one of the leading issues.
    >
    > But maybe there is a FAQ? Never seen any ref to it, though.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Robert
    >
    > --
    > > M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, FBG, AB, PTA, PGS, MS, MNLP, NST, ACMC(P)
    > > http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/
    > >
    > > If God had meant for carrots to be eaten cooked, He would have given
    > > rabbits fire.
    > >

    > --
    > The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
    > persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress
    > depends on the unreasonable man.
    >
    > - George Bernard Shaw

    There are some wiki pages you might want to overhaul or add to:

    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ruby_programming_language
    http://www.trug.ca/Ruby_GUI_Toolkits/archive_of_crap

    ..I think I have seen more.

    Then the next time someone asks this question, everyone should just go
    to the best wiki page, add their comments there, and point the poster
    to the page.

    Can we agree on a good place to put such info? Perhaps a page at Ruby Garden?

    Les

    Leslie Viljoen, Nov 12, 2006