    I'm looking for a couple of things... But I figured the wealth of =
    intelligence here could very easily help me figure them out.

    =20

    #1 I am looking for a networking toolkit like Twisted (for Python) for =
    use with Ruby.

    =20

    #2 Can anybody state any enterprise level applications that are built in =
    Ruby? I'm trying to convince others of the power and usefulness that =
    Ruby can/could have (for them, I already see/use it), but since all they =
    care about is "Yeah, well show me where somebody is using it at =
    enterprise-scale" ... So, I figured I'd ask.

    =20

    Since I figure people will ask what I mean by "enterprise-scale" ... =
    What I mean is distributed systems, message-queues, server proxies based =
    on a naming system, load balancing, automatic failover ... Those kinds =
    of things. The things that are used @ enterprise levels when trying to =
    build systems that can scale to 10000 users hitting multi-million row =
    databases with complex queries... I'm talking about building systems =
    the size of google, or of eBay, or, of amazon. =20

    =20

    So, any information you can provide (links, names, etc.) that can help =
    me in my endeavors to prove that Ruby is enterprise ready, is/would-be =
    very much appreciated.

    =20

    I've looked all over the internet, but haven't found anything useful =
    along these lines... This is the kind of information that is needed when =
    I as a programmer want to go to the management tree of any company I =
    work for and say "Hey, let's use Ruby" ... and I get the questions... =20

    =20

    Anyways, I believe I've made my point, so, any answers that can be =
    provided are definitely of value to me... Thank you one & all.

    =20

    j.

    =20

    =20

    <disclaimer>

    Please ignore my @amazon email address, these questions and/or my =
    opinions do not in any way reflect Amazon.com policy. My interest in =
    Ruby is simply my personal desire for productive programming solutions.

    </disclaimer>

    ------_=_NextPart_001_01C4CA68.42DB7D04--
    Wood, Jeff, Nov 14, 2004

  2. Re: Ruby in the enterprise... [properly formatted]

    "Wood, Jeff" <> writes:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > I'm looking for a couple of things... But I figured the wealth of
    > intelligence here could very easily help me figure them out.
    >
    > #1 I am looking for a networking toolkit like Twisted (for Python)
    > for use with Ruby.
    >
    > #2 Can anybody state any enterprise level applications that are
    > built in Ruby? I'm trying to convince others of the power and
    > usefulness that Ruby can/could have (for them, I already see/use
    > it), but since all they care about is "Yeah, well show me where
    > somebody is using it at enterprise-scale" ... So, I figured I'd ask.
    >
    > Since I figure people will ask what I mean by "enterprise-scale"
    > ... What I mean is distributed systems, message-queues, server
    > proxies based on a naming system, load balancing, automatic failover
    > ... Those kinds of things. The things that are used @ enterprise
    > levels when trying to build systems that can scale to 10000 users
    > hitting multi-million row databases with complex queries... I'm
    > talking about building systems the size of google, or of eBay, or,
    > of amazon.
    >
    > So, any information you can provide (links, names, etc.) that can
    > help me in my endeavors to prove that Ruby is enterprise ready,
    > is/would-be very much appreciated.
    >
    > I've looked all over the internet, but haven't found anything useful
    > along these lines... This is the kind of information that is needed
    > when I as a programmer want to go to the management tree of any
    > company I work for and say "Hey, let's use Ruby" ... and I get the
    > questions...
    >
    > Anyways, I believe I've made my point, so, any answers that can be
    > provided are definitely of value to me... Thank you one & all.

    Next time, break your lines at about 70 columns, or no one will read
    it. Yes, it really is that annoying. :)
    Mikael Brockman, Nov 14, 2004

  3. Wood, Jeff

    otaku Guest

  4. Wood, Jeff

    otaku Guest

    otaku, Nov 14, 2004
  5. Wood, Jeff

    otaku Guest

    otaku, Nov 14, 2004
  6. Wood, Jeff

    James Britt Guest

    Wood, Jeff wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >

    > I'm looking for a couple of things... But I figured the wealth of intelligence here could very easily help me figure them out.
    >

    > #1 I am looking for a networking toolkit like Twisted (for Python) for use with Ruby.
    >

    > #2 Can anybody state any enterprise level applications that are built in Ruby? I'm trying to convince others of the power and usefulness that Ruby can/could have (for them, I already see/use it), but since all they care about is "Yeah, well show me where somebody is using it at enterprise-scale" ... So, I figured I'd ask.

    Rich Kilmer gave an impressive talk about recent Ruby work his company
    (InfoEther) has done for DARPA.

    "Controlling and Testing Distributed Systems with Ruby"

    The slides, however, do not seem to be available yet, though I think the
    talk is available as an mp3.

    http://www.rubytalk.com/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/115455

    It is an outstanding success story, of the "this can't be done!" sort.

    James
    James Britt, Nov 14, 2004
  7. On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 01:37:46 +0900, Wood, Jeff <> wrote:
    > #2 Can anybody state any enterprise level applications that are
    > built in Ruby? I'm trying to convince others of the power and
    > usefulness that Ruby can/could have (for them, I already see/use
    > it), but since all they care about is "Yeah, well show me where
    > somebody is using it at enterprise-scale" ... So, I figured I'd
    > ask.

    The best example of such a program, as I understand it, is the
    Amazon clothing store. The PragProg wrote it in Ruby. I don't know
    if Amazon has changed it since, but when it was first announced last
    year, it was in Ruby.

    -austin
    --
    Austin Ziegler *
    * Alternate:
    Austin Ziegler, Nov 14, 2004
  8. Wood, Jeff

    Dave Thomas Guest

    On Nov 14, 2004, at 13:00, Austin Ziegler wrote:

    > The best example of such a program, as I understand it, is the
    > Amazon clothing store. The PragProg wrote it in Ruby. I don't know
    > if Amazon has changed it since, but when it was first announced last
    > year, it was in Ruby.

    Hmm - that's news to me :)

    Cheers

    Dave
    Dave Thomas, Nov 14, 2004
  9. Wood, Jeff

    James Britt Guest

    Dave Thomas wrote:

    > On Nov 14, 2004, at 13:00, Austin Ziegler wrote:
    >
    >> The best example of such a program, as I understand it, is the
    >> Amazon clothing store. The PragProg wrote it in Ruby. I don't know
    >> if Amazon has changed it since, but when it was first announced last
    >> year, it was in Ruby.

    > Hmm - that's news to me :)

    Which is a testament to the true power of Ruby: it lets you write code
    so quickly, so effortlessly, you don't even remember doing it!

    Actually, as I recall the Amazon/ruby discussion, the store was in
    alpha/beta, and the link was called '/ruby', or the word 'ruby' somehow
    figured into the site, leading to a lot of speculation.

    James
    James Britt, Nov 14, 2004
  10. On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 07:18:53 +0900, Dave Thomas <> wrote:
    > On Nov 14, 2004, at 13:00, Austin Ziegler wrote:
    > > The best example of such a program, as I understand it, is the
    > > Amazon clothing store. The PragProg wrote it in Ruby. I don't know
    > > if Amazon has changed it since, but when it was first announced last
    > > year, it was in Ruby.

    > Hmm - that's news to me :)

    Mmmm. I thought that's what was being said at the time; however, I was
    obviously wrong :)

    Wouldn't be the first time that's happened. :)

    -austin
    --
    Austin Ziegler *
    * Alternate:
    Austin Ziegler, Nov 14, 2004
  11. Just slip it in as java ( using jruby of course :) )

    apologise afterwards!
    Lyndon Samson, Nov 15, 2004
  12. Check out this case study on MySql.com for an enterprise scale app in
    Ruby :)

    http://www.mysql.com/news-and-events/success-stories/aizawa.html

    Sanat.

    Sanat Gersappa, Nov 16, 2004
  13. Check out this case study on MySql.com for an enterprise scale app in

    Sanat Gersappa, Nov 16, 2004