ruby-opengl on Mac OS X

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Robert Poor, Sep 20, 2007.

  1. Robert Poor

    Robert Poor Guest

    All: Pardon this noobish question. I'm trying to bring up ruby-opengl
    on my Mac OS X (v 10.4.10).

    I ran "sudo gem install ruby-opengl" without any trouble -- gem
    announced that it was loading ruby-opengl 0.40.1 as well as mkrf-0.2.2
    -- so far so good! I poked around and found that it had installed the
    following file (among others):

    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-opengl-0.40.1/lib/opengl.rb

    This looks hopeful. In irb, I typed:

    irb(main):106:0> require 'opengl'

    which resulted in:

    LoadError: no such file to load -- opengl
    from
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
    `gem_original_require'
    from
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
    `require'
    from (irb):106
    from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:399

    My question: My guess is this is a problem with paths. What is the
    cleanest remedy? Do I extend my path, make symbolic links, or move the
    opengl files?

    Thanks.

    - ff
    --
    Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
    Robert Poor, Sep 20, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 01:31:38PM +0900, Robert Poor wrote:
    > All: Pardon this noobish question. I'm trying to bring up ruby-opengl
    > on my Mac OS X (v 10.4.10).
    >
    > I ran "sudo gem install ruby-opengl" without any trouble -- gem
    > announced that it was loading ruby-opengl 0.40.1 as well as mkrf-0.2.2
    > -- so far so good! I poked around and found that it had installed the
    > following file (among others):
    >
    > /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-opengl-0.40.1/lib/opengl.rb
    >
    > This looks hopeful. In irb, I typed:
    >
    > irb(main):106:0> require 'opengl'
    >
    > which resulted in:
    >
    > LoadError: no such file to load -- opengl
    > from
    > /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
    > `gem_original_require'
    > from
    > /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
    > `require'
    > from (irb):106
    > from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:399
    >
    > My question: My guess is this is a problem with paths. What is the
    > cleanest remedy? Do I extend my path, make symbolic links, or move the
    > opengl files?


    I think you want to require 'gl' rather than 'opengl'. With a working
    install of ruby-opengl on 10.4.10 I have the following in a working Ruby
    script:

    require 'rubygems'
    require 'gl'
    require 'glu'
    require 'glut'

    You don't need GLU or GLUT unless you're using them, mind you.

    > Thanks.
    > - ff

    --Greg
    Gregory Seidman, Sep 20, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Gregory Seidman wrote:
    > ...
    > I think you want to require 'gl' rather than 'opengl'. With a working
    > install of ruby-opengl on 10.4.10 I have the following in a working Ruby
    > script:
    >
    > require 'rubygems'
    > require 'gl'
    > require 'glu'
    > require 'glut'
    >
    > You don't need GLU or GLUT unless you're using them, mind you.
    >
    > --Greg


    Greg:

    Whoo hoo! It Just Works. Many thanks.

    - Rob
    --
    Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
    Fearless Fool, Sep 20, 2007
    #3
  4. Robert Poor

    Sy Yoon Guest

    Fearless Fool wrote:
    > Gregory Seidman wrote:
    >> ...
    >> I think you want to require 'gl' rather than 'opengl'. With a working
    >> install of ruby-opengl on 10.4.10 I have the following in a working Ruby
    >> script:
    >>
    >> require 'rubygems'
    >> require 'gl'
    >> require 'glu'
    >> require 'glut'
    >>
    >> You don't need GLU or GLUT unless you're using them, mind you.
    >>
    >> --Greg

    >
    > Greg:
    >
    > Whoo hoo! It Just Works. Many thanks.
    >
    > - Rob


    Hello, Greg and Rob, Sorry for my newbie question in advance.

    I am in very similar situation as Rob was in: I installed
    ruby-opengl-0.40.1
    in OS X(v. 10.4.10), and found 'opengl.rb' and others in

    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-opengl-0.40.1/lib/opengl.rb

    But when I do irb(main):003:0> require 'gl'
    I get the following error:


    LoadError: Failed to lookup Init function ./gl.bundle
    from ./gl.bundle
    from (irb):2

    (Well, 'opengl.rb' file contains line "require 'gl'" anyway, but when I
    do
    irb(main):003:0> require 'opengl', I receive:
    LoadError: Failed to lookup Init function ./gl.bundle
    from ./gl.bundle
    from ./opengl.rb:16
    from (irb):1:in `require'
    from (irb):1 )

    I also tried to test run 'plane.rb' file located in
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-opengl-0.40.1/lib/examples
    using TextMate and got the following:

    /Volumes/TextMate1.5.5/TextMate.app/Contents/SharedSupport/Support/lib/
    scriptmate.rb:107:in `initialize': Permission denied -
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-opengl-0.40.1/examples/plane.rb
    (Errno::EACCES) from /Volumes/TextMate

    What am I doing wrong?


    Sy


    --
    Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
    Sy Yoon, Oct 12, 2007
    #4
  5. Hi,

    > /Volumes/TextMate1.5.5/TextMate.app/Contents/SharedSupport/Support/lib/
    > scriptmate.rb:107:in `initialize': Permission denied -
    > /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-opengl-0.40.1/examples/plane.rb
    > (Errno::EACCES) from /Volumes/TextMate
    >
    > What am I doing wrong?


    I think TextMate needs write access to files to run them (bug?). I had
    the very same problem yesterday, even with a 'properly' installed
    TextMate, and I ended up copying the example .rb files to the Desktop.
    Could run them from there without problems.

    Julian
    Julian Raschke, Oct 12, 2007
    #5
  6. Robert Poor

    Sy Yoon Guest

    Julian Raschke wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    >> /Volumes/TextMate1.5.5/TextMate.app/Contents/SharedSupport/Support/lib/
    >> scriptmate.rb:107:in `initialize': Permission denied -
    >> /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-opengl-0.40.1/examples/plane.rb
    >> (Errno::EACCES) from /Volumes/TextMate
    >>
    >> What am I doing wrong?

    >
    > I think TextMate needs write access to files to run them (bug?). I had
    > the very same problem yesterday, even with a 'properly' installed
    > TextMate, and I ended up copying the example .rb files to the Desktop.
    > Could run them from there without problems.
    >
    > Julian


    Ok, I copied an exmple rb file to the Desktop where TextMate is, but
    still get:

    LoadError: Failed to lookup Init function
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-opengl-0.40.1/lib/gl.bundle

    method require in custom_require.rb at line 32
    at top level in gl-test.rb at line 46

    ???

    BTW, my TextMate is a trial version.

    Sy

    --
    Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
    Sy Yoon, Oct 12, 2007
    #6
  7. On 10/12/07, Sy Yoon <> wrote:
    > Julian Raschke wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > >> /Volumes/TextMate1.5.5/TextMate.app/Contents/SharedSupport/Support/lib/
    > >> scriptmate.rb:107:in `initialize': Permission denied -
    > >> /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-opengl-0.40.1/examples/plane.rb
    > >> (Errno::EACCES) from /Volumes/TextMate
    > >>
    > >> What am I doing wrong?

    > >
    > > I think TextMate needs write access to files to run them (bug?). I had
    > > the very same problem yesterday, even with a 'properly' installed
    > > TextMate, and I ended up copying the example .rb files to the Desktop.
    > > Could run them from there without problems.
    > >
    > > Julian

    >
    > Ok, I copied an exmple rb file to the Desktop where TextMate is, but
    > still get:
    >
    > LoadError: Failed to lookup Init function
    > /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-opengl-0.40.1/lib/gl.bundle
    >
    > method require in custom_require.rb at line 32
    > at top level in gl-test.rb at line 46
    >
    > ???
    >
    > BTW, my TextMate is a trial version.


    Don't know if it might be the same problem, but just in case. I was
    trying to install opengl in Ubuntu, but couldn't make it work, until
    someone pointed to me that opengl.0.40.1 required version 1.9+ of
    rubygems. So maybe you could try to upgrade to version 1.9 to see if
    that's the problem?

    In Ubuntu:

    sudo gem update --system

    Don't know how to do it in Mac OS X, though.

    Hope this helps,

    Jesus.
    Jesús Gabriel y Galán, Oct 12, 2007
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Brian Victor

    OpenGL on Intel Mac

    Brian Victor, Apr 7, 2006, in forum: Python
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    366
    Brian Victor
    Apr 7, 2006
  2. James Adam

    OpenGL on Mac OS X

    James Adam, Jun 30, 2003, in forum: Ruby
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    103
    James Adam
    Jun 30, 2003
  3. Alwin Blok

    ruby-opengl, ruby-glut

    Alwin Blok, Dec 30, 2003, in forum: Ruby
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    184
    Alwin Blok
    Jan 21, 2004
  4. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    202
  5. 360percent

    ruby-opengl on a g4 mac 10.4

    360percent, Oct 27, 2007, in forum: Ruby
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    83
    Julian Raschke
    Oct 27, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page