Ruby Web Hosts

Osuka Adartse

Sean said:
That is so rude, low-class and so off-topic it boggles my mind. What exactly
is your business that you can treat people like that?

Sean O'Dell

On Monday 30 August 2004 10:17, David Ross wrote:
Thankfully snipped
Wish I have *something real* to add here, mostly lurking and learning,
IMO Mr Ross comments are the kind I don't want to learn , some acid
comments while valid, are ok, but plain insulting left and right no. And
that's sad, this community is polite, helpful and educated for the most
part but lately ... a few have made waves. I thank to everybody who post
with maturity and politeness, those who help and inadvertently teach me
something.

Yes I'm a perfect nobody, but unfortunately I'm forced to use
Thunderbird's filters for somebody...

Adartse.
p.s. obviously that filter is not for Mr. O'Dell, but I applied it
before posting this ;-) so I no longer have "that" guy's mails.

Truth only offends to those not used to it.

James Britt

Carl said:
It would be nice if it were possible to ban certain users from the
list. The biggest problem I see with it is the news gateway. If it
were a regular email list, we could always ban these offensive posters
with ease. There seems to be a general consensus from all the rest of
the group on this one.

So far, there seems to be a consensus on replying to messages from
"certain users."

This is not a matter for some sort List Lord to banish people from List
Land.

Don't care for someone? Vote with your kill file or bozo filter or
whatever you care to call it.

James

David Morton

T. Onoma said:
TO ALL INVOLVED: You've usurped my thread!!! No offense, but I advise laughing
Indeed, you are correct, and my apologies for my part in it. I made a
SA rule to filter out messages from the individual that inflamed several
people, so for my part, I will not hinder your thread any more. :)

Back on topic, I believe you were asking about Ruby web hosting options.
Depending on your location, you also may find small ISP's that are
willing to do unusual server arrangements in exchange for hosting.
Depends on your traffic requirements, I guess.

at Ross' foolish bravado and not bother with replies. (Honestly, if you step
back and read his stuff, he's a riot! But not worth fussing over.)

No, it's not funny. It's irritating noise in an otherwise civilized
forum. But thank you for your reminder to stay on topic. :)

Carl Youngblood

This is not a matter for some sort List Lord to banish people from List
Land. ...
Don't care for someone? Vote with your kill file or bozo filter or
whatever you care to call it.

I still think that a few offensive posters can detract from ruby
advocacy and can hurt the progress of the language and general good
feelings and collaboration among the group, so I think there is a
place for a "List Lord," as you so Orwellianly put it. Actually, I
was advocating more of a democratic approach in which list regulars
formed ad-hoc initiatives to get rid of people who everyone agreed
were way out of line.

Sean O'Dell

I still think that a few offensive posters can detract from ruby
advocacy and can hurt the progress of the language and general good
feelings and collaboration among the group, so I think there is a
place for a "List Lord," as you so Orwellianly put it. Actually, I
was advocating more of a democratic approach in which list regulars
formed ad-hoc initiatives to get rid of people who everyone agreed
were way out of line.

That would be fun for the regulars. That wouldn't be very fun for people who
have things to say that go contrary to what the regulars want to hear.

Sean O'Dell

Martin Ankerl

Please recommend Ruby-supporting web hosts. I am currently looking at the
following providers in this order of preference:

My webpage is hosted at http://geekisp.com/. Several months ago I have
asked if they have ruby installed, and the response was "now we have".
I like it a lot, since the admins are very helpful, and it is quite
cheap.

This is my webpage, which uses rublog (tweaked to be more standard
conform, and use CSS):
http://martinus.geekisp.com/

Martin Ankerl

Carl Youngblood

I'm sorry; I don't think I worded things very well. I see this as a
very infrequent occurrence and something that would only be used for
very blatant and annoying cases where everyone was basically in
agreement. I don't see it as some oligarchy of the regulars.

That said, I'm not all that enthused about my own idea--I have no
great attachment to it and it was merely a casual remark that I don't
intend to defend vigorously. So I am completely open to the
possibility that it was a bad idea.

Lloyd Zusman

Carl Youngblood said:
I'm sorry; I don't think I worded things very well. I see this as a
very infrequent occurrence and something that would only be used for
very blatant and annoying cases where everyone was basically in
agreement. I don't see it as some oligarchy of the regulars.

That said, I'm not all that enthused about my own idea--I have no
great attachment to it and it was merely a casual remark that I don't
intend to defend vigorously. So I am completely open to the
possibility that it was a bad idea.

Well, if you think about it, your idea was pretty much implemented on
its own this time. Several of us replied disapprovingly here in the
forum to the offending party. I also spoke to him in private email, and
I would assume that others did so, as well.

The result is that now we don't see the problem posts any more.

This was an ad hoc initiative in its purest form, and it seems to have
worked.

James Britt

Carl said:
I still think that a few offensive posters can detract from ruby
advocacy and can hurt the progress of the language and general good
feelings and collaboration among the group, so I think there is a
place for a "List Lord," as you so Orwellianly put it. Actually, I
was advocating more of a democratic approach in which list regulars
formed ad-hoc initiatives to get rid of people who everyone agreed
were way out of line.

I think the most democratic thing to do is not respond to people who you
believe are trolling or are being otherwise disruptive.

The progress of pretty much any open language involves public
discussions where there will always be some people who manage to annoy,
insult, offend, or whatever. It's sort of like life.

So, far, only about two people on this list are in my bozo filter due to
their oafish rhetoric.

I'm not a big fan, though, of *banning* people from lists, particularly
if their behavior is encouraged by the frequent replies from other list
members.

The people I filter out have not, to my recollection, ever initiated a
thread with moronic vitriol. That part usually comes right after the
first response to their post.

James

Sean O'Dell

I'm not a big fan, though, of *banning* people from lists, particularly
if their behavior is encouraged by the frequent replies from other list
members.

Or perhaps even precipitated by it. It's quite possible for a group of people
to view newcomers as outsiders and create a hostile environment for them,
sometimes without even realizing it. In fact, in certain social situations,
it's the rule rather than the exception.
The people I filter out have not, to my recollection, ever initiated a
thread with moronic vitriol. That part usually comes right after the
first response to their post.

I find it's better simply to look at who throws the first ball of mud and give
them the lion's share of the blame.

Sean O'Dell

Will Drewry

TO ALL INVOLVED: You've usurped my thread!!! No offense, but I advise laughing
at Ross' foolish bravado and not bother with replies. (Honestly, if you step
back and read his stuff, he's a riot! But not worth fussing over.)

Be cool hunny bunny,
T.

If you're interested in UML hosting, I've been using rimuhosting.com
for many months now. Downtime is minimal - I've never noticed - and
my sandbox is usually pretty speedy. Their pricing is also pretty
good. The biggest win for me was that they got me setup with a new
debian-based sandbox in about three hours - talk about service!

I've used UMLs for personal web hosting, corporate hosting of J2EE
deployments, development, and more with quite a bit of success. I'd
be more than happy to share these experiences with you if you're
interested.

Good luck!

/wad

ChrisO

T. Onoma said:
Please recommend Ruby-supporting web hosts. I am currently looking at the
following providers in this order of preference:

Iniquinet
http://www.iniquinet.com/web_hosting.php
http://www.iniquinet.com/ruby_hosting.php

RootR.net
http://rootr.net/hosting.html
http://rootr.net/ruby.html

OCS Solutions
http://www.ocssolutions.com/hosting.php
http://www.ocssolutions.com/hosting/ruby.php

Any info about these or others is greatly appreciated!

I've not run the gammit of Unix/Linux/BSD hosting solutions, and quite
frankly there are A LOT to choose from. But of the two I've used, both
of which did NOT offer Ruby/eRuby/mod_ruby, I've been able to
successfully go in and install Ruby locally in my own account and run Ruby.

mod_ruby would not be available as an option without setup help from the
company admins. But at Interland and LunarPages, at both of which I've
used normal Linux/Apache shared hosting packages offering PHP, Perl (and
ASP at LP) only, my own installation of ruby/eRuby has worked just fine.
(I'm sure LunarPages would be interested in knowing how I accomplished
this without shell access, but it wasn't hard at all with a little
initial help from Perl.)

So you could try this approach. This has worked fabulously for me.
Just don't expect any support from them of course.

-ceo

Justin Rudd

T. Onoma said:
Please recommend Ruby-supporting web hosts.

I use TextDrive (http://textdrive.com/). They are not specifically a
Ruby host, but they do support it. And their administrators are top
notch. I had an issue with another host and they helped me resolve it
even though they didn't have to.

Prices are nice to.

Gavin Kistner

Please recommend Ruby-supporting web hosts. I am currently looking at
the
following providers in this order of preference:

As this question seems to crop up on the list every few months, I've
started:

http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?WebHosts

Please add to it as you find new hosts. Please add descriptions of
experiences you've had with the hosts, if any. Feel free to classify
them as "all-setup-for-you" versus "run your own virtual server and
install everything yourself".