Run script on another NON-IIS server

Raptor

I am trying to perform the following task. I believe it is possible from
other asp pages I have seen before.

I have a server (ServerA) Win2003 IIS 6 running a web page
I have a server (ServerB) Win2003 Active Directory Domain Controller
which I do not want to put IIS.

I need a user to go to the ServerA web page and enter data, and once the
submit button is executed, I want the script to take the data and execute it
on the ServerB server (AD DC).

This script can only run on the DC locally, not remotely.
I have hear of an asp page once before that mapped a drive to the DC, and
put the global.asa file on the mapped drive. There was also something about
editing the asa file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jenny mabe

I have a server (ServerA) Win2003 IIS 6 running a web page
I have a server (ServerB) Win2003 Active Directory Domain Controller
which I do not want to put IIS.
I need a user to go to the ServerA web page and enter data, and once the
submit button is executed, I want the script to take the data and
execute it on the ServerB server (AD DC).

Are you able to create a virtual directory in IIS on ServerA that points
to a folder on ServerB? If you can do that, you should be able to point
the form to submit to a page there.

Jenny

news.microsoft.com

I have tried the below and the scritp still appears to run from the web
server (ServerA) and not the non IIS server (ServerB)

To troubleshoot I ass the following code:
Set WShShell = Server.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
strSvr = WshShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%ComputerName%")

(in html section)
ServerName = <%=strSvr%>

The code returns ServerA (IIS Server) not ServerB as am trying to
accomplish.

I need to code to actually execute on ServerB just as if I were sitting on
ServerB and executing the vbs code.

jenny mabe said:
I have a server (ServerA) Win2003 IIS 6 running a web page
I have a server (ServerB) Win2003 Active Directory Domain Controller
which I do not want to put IIS.
I need a user to go to the ServerA web page and enter data, and once the
submit button is executed, I want the script to take the data and
execute it on the ServerB server (AD DC).

Are you able to create a virtual directory in IIS on ServerA that points
to a folder on ServerB? If you can do that, you should be able to point
the form to submit to a page there.

Jenny

Mark Schupp

Just keep in mind that the script will run in the context of serverA, not
serverB.

--
Mark Schupp
Head of Development

jenny mabe said:
I have a server (ServerA) Win2003 IIS 6 running a web page
I have a server (ServerB) Win2003 Active Directory Domain Controller
which I do not want to put IIS.
I need a user to go to the ServerA web page and enter data, and once the
submit button is executed, I want the script to take the data and
execute it on the ServerB server (AD DC).

Are you able to create a virtual directory in IIS on ServerA that points
to a folder on ServerB? If you can do that, you should be able to point
the form to submit to a page there.

Jenny

Raptor

I am trying to get it to run in the context of ServerB (Non-IIS Server). Is there any way to perform this? ServerB is a domain controller and I do not want to put IIS on it, however I need the vbs script to run Local to the DC but called with parameters from ServerA (IIS Server)

Is there not a way to accomplish this

Mark Schupp

One way I can think of would be to have the script on serverA write the
necessary data to a file on serverB and then have a scheduled batch job on
serverB process it.

You could also use MSMQ if you were willing to set it up on both servers.

--
Mark Schupp
Head of Development

Raptor said:
I am trying to get it to run in the context of ServerB (Non-IIS Server).
Is there any way to perform this? ServerB is a domain controller and I do
not want to put IIS on it, however I need the vbs script to run Local to the
DC but called with parameters from ServerA (IIS Server).

Raptor

Yeah, I was trying to avoid doing something like that

How would MSMQ help in performing this task? I might consider this as long as IIS componants are not on serverB (Active Directory Domain controller)

Mark Schupp

MSMQ allows an application to queue "messages" to a message queue. The
messages are pulled from the queue by another application that can be on any
system. So the web-server could queue the data needed by the other server to
a queue that was processed by that server.

There is some administrative overhead in setting up the queues and serverB
would have to have access to MSMQ. It has been a while since I did anything
with it (we did a Training CBT course for it for Microsoft and Candle Corp
when it first came out) so I don't know what the current requirements are to
use it. Probably a batch process would be simpler to set up but I thought I
would mention it.

--
Mark Schupp
Head of Development