Running Applications from our Local Intranet page only?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Advo, Jun 28, 2006.

  1. Advo

    Advo Guest

    At the moment we have a simple intranet consisting of one page full of
    webpage links, but we want to allow staff to be able to open up
    applications they use a lot, such as Access or Excel, straight from this
    page.

    I know the concerns of running .exe's from website because of all the
    exploits and such, but this is for Local users only, running from our
    server.

    Is there any way at all to do this?

    Thanks
    Advo, Jun 28, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Advo

    mbstevens Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 22:41:44 +0000, Advo wrote:

    > At the moment we have a simple intranet consisting of one page full of
    > webpage links, but we want to allow staff to be able to open up
    > applications they use a lot, such as Access or Excel, straight from this
    > page.
    >
    > I know the concerns of running .exe's from website because of all the
    > exploits and such, but this is for Local users only, running from our
    > server.
    >
    > Is there any way at all to do this?


    Depends on the server. On Apache
    you can use Perl/CGI or PHP scripts to run other scripts.

    But for something like Excel, I suggest you set up something along
    the line of remote desktops instead of just webpages or telnet.

    You might google for 'remote desktop' 'ssh' 'VNC' 'NX' and
    'NoMachine' for starters.
    --
    mbstevens
    http://www.mbstevens.com/
    mbstevens, Jun 29, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Advo

    mbstevens Guest

    On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 00:02:55 +0000, mbstevens wrote:


    > But for something like Excel, I suggest you set up something along
    > the line of remote desktops instead of just webpages or telnet.
    >
    > You might google for 'remote desktop' 'ssh' 'VNC' 'NX' and
    > 'NoMachine' for starters.


    ....and remote X applications are a possibility. Google Xauth.
    mbstevens, Jun 29, 2006
    #3
  4. Advo

    Advo Guest

    mbstevens wrote:
    > On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 00:02:55 +0000, mbstevens wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >>But for something like Excel, I suggest you set up something along
    >>the line of remote desktops instead of just webpages or telnet.
    >>
    >>You might google for 'remote desktop' 'ssh' 'VNC' 'NX' and
    >>'NoMachine' for starters.

    >
    >
    > ...and remote X applications are a possibility. Google Xauth.



    is that the only way? i didnt realise it would be that hard as such.

    Our servers at work support ASP, JS and HTML etc, not sure about PHP.

    Basically our intranet is a html page with a few hyperlinks, then we
    have say a hyperlink to Excel

    It was so the user can click Excel, which should just run the file
    similar to: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Excel.exe etc
    Advo, Jun 29, 2006
    #4
  5. Advo

    mbstevens Guest

    On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 00:21:24 +0000, Advo wrote:

    > is that the only way? i didnt realise it would be that hard as such.
    >
    > Our servers at work support ASP, JS and HTML etc, not sure about PHP.
    >
    > Basically our intranet is a html page with a few hyperlinks, then we
    > have say a hyperlink to Excel
    >
    > It was so the user can click Excel, which should just run the file
    > similar to: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Excel.exe etc


    You may be able to do certain limited things with Excel from its command
    line. But if you want the user to be able to actually interact with Excel
    or Office in the _usual_ way, and from a remote machine, you need more
    than an web server.
    mbstevens, Jun 29, 2006
    #5
  6. mbstevens wrote:
    > On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 00:21:24 +0000, Advo wrote:
    >
    >> is that the only way? i didnt realise it would be that hard as such.
    >>
    >> Our servers at work support ASP, JS and HTML etc, not sure about PHP.
    >>
    >> Basically our intranet is a html page with a few hyperlinks, then we
    >> have say a hyperlink to Excel
    >>
    >> It was so the user can click Excel, which should just run the file
    >> similar to: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Excel.exe etc

    >
    > You may be able to do certain limited things with Excel from its command
    > line. But if you want the user to be able to actually interact with Excel
    > or Office in the _usual_ way, and from a remote machine, you need more
    > than an web server.
    >



    Or a shared folder Form Windows to Windows. Check you licensing
    agreements with Ol' MS if you want to run as an Apps Server...We do one
    a public library server that I manage, but the SW was purchased with
    such a license.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Jun 29, 2006
    #6
  7. Advo

    I V Guest

    On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 00:32:36 +0000, mbstevens wrote:
    > You may be able to do certain limited things with Excel from its command
    > line. But if you want the user to be able to actually interact with Excel
    > or Office in the _usual_ way, and from a remote machine, you need more
    > than an web server.


    I'm not sure the OP wants to run Excel on the remote machine. If she
    doesn't, and if all her users' machines have Excel in a predictable
    location, a link to the Excel executable may do what she wants, if I
    remember correctly.

    Of course, that raises the question of why you would _want_ to have a link
    on an intranet page that starts an app on the local machine; it would seem
    simpler for the users to use a shortcut on their desktop.
    I V, Jun 29, 2006
    #7
  8. Advo

    Advo Guest

    I V wrote:
    > On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 00:32:36 +0000, mbstevens wrote:
    >
    >>You may be able to do certain limited things with Excel from its command
    >>line. But if you want the user to be able to actually interact with Excel
    >>or Office in the _usual_ way, and from a remote machine, you need more
    >>than an web server.

    >
    >
    > I'm not sure the OP wants to run Excel on the remote machine. If she
    > doesn't, and if all her users' machines have Excel in a predictable
    > location, a link to the Excel executable may do what she wants, if I
    > remember correctly.
    >
    > Of course, that raises the question of why you would _want_ to have a link
    > on an intranet page that starts an app on the local machine; it would seem
    > simpler for the users to use a shortcut on their desktop.
    >



    Correct really, we dont want to interact with Excel etc, just open the page.

    Basically its because all the staff use that intranet for everything, ie
    its always visible, everything they are doing comes from that, so the
    idea is, having likes to applications makes things even easier for them.

    All i want to be able to do is open the application, not do anything
    with any data just run say C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Excel.exe
    from a link, so when the user clicks on the link, that application loads
    Advo, Jun 29, 2006
    #8
  9. Advo wrote:
    > At the moment we have a simple intranet consisting of one
    > page full of webpage links, but we want to allow staff to
    > be able to open up applications they use a lot, such as
    > Access or Excel, straight from this page.
    >
    > I know the concerns of running .exe's from website because
    > of all the exploits and such, but this is for Local users
    > only, running from our server.
    >
    > Is there any way at all to do this?


    With IE and with your domain added to the 'trusted sites' security zone,
    in which the settings must allow the scripting of non-safe ActiveX
    controls, you can script the instantiation of the Windows Scripting Host
    COM object. With the WSH object you can do anything that you could do
    from a command/DOS console in Windows, which includes starting other
    applications.

    Richard.
    Richard Cornford, Jun 29, 2006
    #9
  10. Hi Richard,

    I came across this the other day, I think it's exactly what you need ;)

    http://www.whirlywiryweb.com/q/launchinie.asp

    Hope that helps

    Andy


    "Richard Cornford" <> wrote in message
    news:e7vv7f$1h3$1$...
    > Advo wrote:
    >> At the moment we have a simple intranet consisting of one
    >> page full of webpage links, but we want to allow staff to
    >> be able to open up applications they use a lot, such as
    >> Access or Excel, straight from this page.
    >>
    >> I know the concerns of running .exe's from website because
    >> of all the exploits and such, but this is for Local users
    >> only, running from our server.
    >>
    >> Is there any way at all to do this?

    >
    Andrew Bailey, Jun 29, 2006
    #10
  11. Advo

    Brian Cryer Guest

    "Advo" <> wrote in message
    news:IADog.60811$...
    > At the moment we have a simple intranet consisting of one page full of
    > webpage links, but we want to allow staff to be able to open up
    > applications they use a lot, such as Access or Excel, straight from this
    > page.
    >
    > I know the concerns of running .exe's from website because of all the
    > exploits and such, but this is for Local users only, running from our
    > server.
    >
    > Is there any way at all to do this?
    >
    > Thanks


    Are you trying to find a way around having Access and Excel loaded on each
    pc?

    Is what you are after a simple link to an access/excel file? So the user
    clicks on a link and it opens up access/excel? No security concerns there.
    Or have I totally misunderstood what you are after?
    --
    Brian Cryer
    www.cryer.co.uk/brian
    Brian Cryer, Jun 29, 2006
    #11
  12. Advo

    Advo Guest

    Brian Cryer wrote:
    > "Advo" <> wrote in message
    > news:IADog.60811$...
    >
    >>At the moment we have a simple intranet consisting of one page full of
    >>webpage links, but we want to allow staff to be able to open up
    >>applications they use a lot, such as Access or Excel, straight from this
    >>page.
    >>
    >>I know the concerns of running .exe's from website because of all the
    >>exploits and such, but this is for Local users only, running from our
    >>server.
    >>
    >>Is there any way at all to do this?
    >>
    >>Thanks

    >
    >
    > Are you trying to find a way around having Access and Excel loaded on each
    > pc?
    >
    > Is what you are after a simple link to an access/excel file? So the user
    > clicks on a link and it opens up access/excel? No security concerns there.
    > Or have I totally misunderstood what you are after?



    Well kind of, we have it to open certain files already, but the thing
    is, they need to open new projects each time, so the idea was, just load
    the actual access or excel, or word program and let them do what they
    want from there
    Advo, Jun 29, 2006
    #12
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. ABC
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    680
    Luke Dalessandro
    Jan 13, 2006
  2. C. Moya
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    507
    C. Moya
    Apr 10, 2007
  3. Flyguy
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    765
    Steven Cheng [MSFT]
    Apr 25, 2008
  4. adam

    caspol & local intranet security

    adam, Jan 15, 2004, in forum: ASP .Net Security
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    657
  5. Picker Leon
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    176
    Brian McCauley
    Dec 11, 2003
Loading...

Share This Page