Running both in the IDE and on a remote host

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jeff, Feb 27, 2005.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    I have an ASP.NET web page accessing a SQL database. I've used VS to build
    the app and stored it in the eNPTest02 directory of my localhost on my
    development machine. The database is on the web. I've found a way that
    works on the web, and I'm trying to get it to also work in debug mode in the
    IDE. The "on the web" page and my SQL database are hosted by a third party
    (on separate servers).

    Since debug mode opens IE and loads my page from localhost, since the
    database is located at a web URL, and since my development machine has an
    always-on DSL connection, I'm hoping there's a way to get this to work.

    As far as I can tell, this may be a Page directive issue: src vs codebehind.
    But in either case, I can't get this to work in the IDE.

    What am I doing wrong?? I'd appreciate your help.

    I've tried 4 Page directive variations, differing in how I reference the vb
    page and how I inherit the class:

    <%@ Page Language="vb" codebehind="eNP02.aspx.vb" autoeventwireup="false"
    Inherits="eNPTest02.WebForm1"%>
    <%@ Page Language="vb" codebehind="eNP02.aspx.vb" autoeventwireup="false"
    Inherits="WebForm1"%>
    <%@ Page Language="vb" src="eNP02.aspx.vb" autoeventwireup="false"
    Inherits="eNPTest02.WebForm1"%>
    <%@ Page Language="vb" src="eNP02.aspx.vb" autoeventwireup="false"
    Inherits="WebForm1"%>

    None of the above runs in debug mode in the IDE. The last one runs
    successfully on the remote host.

    codebehind: Won't run in IDE
    Won't run on remote host (Parser Error Message: Could not load type)
    IDE views are fine

    src: Won't run in IDE
    Runs on remote host (if I don't refer to localhost directory - as I'd
    expect)
    Cannot access form design view in IDE

    In more detail, here's what happens with each of the 4 variations (Detailed
    Code is provided at the end of this post):

    '**********
    <%@ Page Language="vb" codebehind="eNP02.aspx.vb" autoeventwireup="false"
    Inherits="eNPTest02.WebForm1"%>

    Run in IDE (debug mode)
    IE opens, loads eNP02.aspx from localhost, and hangs. (Eventually I get a
    page cannot be displayed error.) When I step through the

    code, the Page_Load event code executes without throwing an exception.

    Run on remote host
    Parser Error Message: Could not load type 'eNPTest02.WebForm1'.

    When I open the project after it's been closed
    The Design and HTML views of eNP02.aspx both display fine.

    '**********
    <%@ Page Language="vb" codebehind="eNP02.aspx.vb" autoeventwireup="false"
    Inherits="WebForm1"%>

    Run in IDE (debug mode)
    Parser Error Message: Could not load type 'WebForm1'.

    Run on remote host
    Parser Error Message: Could not load type 'WebForm1'.

    When I open the project after it's been closed
    The Design and HTML views of eNP02.aspx both display fine.

    '**********
    <%@ Page Language="vb" src="eNP02.aspx.vb" autoeventwireup="false"
    Inherits="eNPTest02.WebForm1"%>

    Run in IDE (debug mode)
    Parser Error Message: The base type 'eNPTest02.WebForm1' does not exist in
    the source file 'eNP02.aspx.vb'.

    Run on remote host
    Parser Error Message: The base type 'eNPTest02.WebForm1' does not exist in
    the source file 'eNP02.aspx.vb'.

    When I open the project after it's been closed
    The file could not be loaded into the Web Forms designer. Please correct
    the following error and then try loading it again: The @

    Page or @ Control directive contains a src= attribute, which is not
    supported in Visual Studio. Make sure all of the classes used in this

    page are built or referenced in the project.

    I can load the HTML view of eNP02.aspx, but I cannot access the Design view

    '**********
    <%@ Page Language="vb" src="eNP02.aspx.vb" autoeventwireup="false"
    Inherits="WebForm1"%>

    Run in IDE (debug mode)
    IE opens, loads eNP02.aspx from localhost, and hangs. (Eventually I get a
    page cannot be displayed error.) When I step through the

    code, the Page_Load event code executes without throwing an exception.

    Run on remote host
    Runs successfully. The database connection succeeds, and the datagrid
    displays all data.

    When I open the project after it's been closed
    The file could not be loaded into the Web Forms designer. Please correct
    the following error and then try loading it again: The @

    Page or @ Control directive contains a src= attribute, which is not
    supported in Visual Studio. Make sure all of the classes used in this

    page are built or referenced in the project.

    I can load the HTML view of eNP02.aspx, but I cannot access the Design
    view.

    codebehind: Won't run on localhost
    Won't run on remote host (Parser Error Message: Could not load type)
    IDE views are fine

    src: Won't run on localhost
    Runs on remote host (if I don't refer to localhost directory - as I'd
    expect)
    Cannot access form design view in IDE

    Code:

    'eNP02.aspx - the form:
    <%@ Page Language="vb" src="eNP02.aspx.vb" autoeventwireup="false"
    Inherits="WebForm1"%>
    <HTML>

    <HEAD>
    <title>WebForm1</title>
    </HEAD>

    <TABLE height="310" cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="0" width="359"
    border="0" ms_2d_layout="TRUE">
    <TR vAlign="top">
    <TD width="359" height="310">
    <TABLE height="342" cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="0" width="298"
    border="0" ms_2d_layout="TRUE">
    <TR vAlign="top">
    <TD width="56" height="80"></TD>
    <TD width="8"></TD>
    <TD width="234"></TD>
    </TR>
    <TR vAlign="top">
    <TD height="128"></TD>
    <TD colSpan="2">
    <asp:Label id="Label1" runat="server" Width="240px"
    Height="96px" BorderStyle="Solid">Test 01 Label</asp:Label></TD>
    </TR>
    <TR vAlign="top">
    <TD colSpan="2" height="134"></TD>
    <TD>
    <asp:DataGrid id="dgCustomers"
    runat="server"></asp:DataGrid></TD>
    </TR>
    </TABLE>
    </form>
    </TD>
    </TR>
    </TABLE>

    </HTML>

    'eNP02.aspx.vb - the codebehind file
    Imports System
    Imports System.Web.UI
    Imports System.Web.UI.WebControls
    Imports System.Web.UI.HtmlControls
    Imports System.Data.SqlClient

    Public Class WebForm1
    Inherits System.Web.UI.Page

    InitializeComponent()

    End Sub
    Protected WithEvents Label1 As System.Web.UI.WebControls.Label
    Protected WithEvents dgCustomers As System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGrid

    Designer.
    'Do not delete or move it.

    System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Init
    InitializeComponent()
    End Sub

    #End Region

    System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
    Dim conMain As SqlConnection
    Dim sqlCmd As SqlCommand
    Dim strConn As String

    Try

    strConn = ""
    strConn = strConn & "Network Library=dbmssocn;"
    strConn = strConn & "Password=myPassword;"
    strConn = strConn & "User ID=myUser;"
    strConn = strConn & "Initial Catalog=myDB;"
    strConn = strConn & "Data Source=000.000.000.000;"

    conMain = New SqlConnection(strConn)
    sqlCmd = New SqlCommand("SELECT FirstName, LastName FROM
    eNPCustomers", conMain)
    conMain.Open()

    Dim rdrCustomers As SqlDataReader = sqlCmd.ExecuteReader

    dgCustomers.DataSource = rdrCustomers
    dgCustomers.DataBind()

    conMain.Close()

    Label1.Text = "Codebehind Works"

    Catch ex As Exception
    Response.Write(ex.ToString)

    End Try

    End Sub

    End Class

    Jeff, Feb 27, 2005

  2. Hi Jeff,

    I would start over with a new page. In VS.Net create a new web page, call
    it eNP03.Aspx when it asks for a name. Now your code behind and your .aspx
    page will be properly hooked up. Next copy everything but the @Page
    directive in eNP02, paste this into eNP03 overwriting everything but the
    @Page directive. Next copy all the code from the eNP02.aspx.vb file and
    paste it into eNP03.aspx.vb. Then change this line:

    Public Class WebForm1

    Back to:

    Public Class eNP03

    Which is what it was before you copied the code in the .vb file. Now you
    know you are setup right. Set eNP03.aspx as your start page by right
    clicking on it and selecting that menu item. Now run the project. If you
    still have a problem then you probably have something setup wrong with your
    IIS or .Net Framework setup. Good luck! Ken.

    --
    Ken Dopierala Jr.
    For great ASP.Net web hosting try:

    Ken Dopierala Jr., Feb 27, 2005

  3. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Thanks Ken -

    I tried your suggestion with the same result. And while there may be
    something amiss with IIS, I don't think that's causing this problem(?).

    I've tested the aspx - vb page link and it seems to be working. I think
    I've narrowd the problem down to something having to do with databinding.

    So once again, I've posted a new thread (Databinding a SQLDataReader to a
    DataGrid control), since the 'Subject' no longer applies. I'd appreciate
    any further suggestions you can offer.

    - Jeff

    Jeff, Mar 4, 2005