running multiple django/bottle instances

Discussion in 'Python' started by Andrea Crotti, Jan 3, 2013.

  1. I'm working on a quite complex web app that uses django and bottle
    (bottle for the API which is also restful).

    Before I came they started to use a staging server to be able to try out
    things properly before they get published, but now we would like to have
    the possibility to see multiple branches at a time.

    First we thought about multiple servers, but actually since bottle and
    django can be made to run on different ports, I thought why not running
    everything on one server on different ports?

    We also use elasticsearch and couchdb for the data, but these two
    don't change that much and can just be a single instance.

    So what would be really great could be

    staging_server/branch_x
    staging_server/branch_y

    and something keeps track of all the various branches tracked, and run
    or keeps running bottle/django on different ports for the different
    branches.

    Is there something in the wonderful python world which I could bend to
    my needs?

    I'll probably have to script something myself anyway, but any
    suggestions is welcome, since I don't have much experience with web stuff..
    Andrea Crotti, Jan 3, 2013