Runtime debugging tools needed?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by sunkids@gmail.com, Jun 5, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi All:
    Thanks everyone so activating in ruby community. I am newbi to
    ruby. This is all because WATIR, a web testing tool.
    I know some people post before saying there is no need for ruby
    have a runtime debugging tool, because ruby is simple enough or so easy
    to find where the error is, which I totally agree with. However, my
    company deside to try WATIR/Ruby in our product functional testing(Web
    application testing), and ask me to give a full demo to the automation
    board.
    The challenges of swithing from our existing automation tool to
    Ruby/WATIR tool are fast development and less maintenance effort.
    First, I am strongly believe fast development can be achieved by strait
    forward coding and pure OO language advantage. Second, less maintenance
    effort has to be achieved with propret tool. However, because of our
    large size of web application, our testing framework is also very large
    and complex, and it is still grow fast. In order to maintain the
    testing framework release to release we are at boundary equal effort
    between manual testing and recalibrate existing automation. That's also
    why we can looking for better tools.
    The current WATIR/Ruby debugging flow is all based on exception,
    fix and rerun the program. However, with frequent source code
    change(our product), we have to face the ugly truth, our automation
    scripts have to be constantly change. Even worse, our automation
    scripts can't be just simply rerun, due to all the testing senario data
    is half way send to server. We have to restore the database at server
    and rerun the script, which is VERY TIME CONSUMING, maybe more than our
    code creation.
    Which makes me thinking about a tool, that will allow me running
    Ruby/WATIR code under it, show me the exception, pause the code and
    resumed the code after I saved my fix to the code. If this is doable
    (which I believe, because ruby is interpreted language), that will be
    ideal solution for our maintaining such large testing framework.
    Thanks in advance for all your commens.

    , Jun 5, 2006