Saving Info Offline

Daniel Orner

I've got an online system which I'm interested in making available
offline - i.e. letting the user download certain HTML forms, fill them
out offline, then the next time he logs into the site, sending all the
data he filled out to the system. However, I can't seem to come up
with a good way to do this. I thought of using cookies (that'd be
great, since the system could detect them automatically), but it seems
I can't set cookies for my server offline; it has to be from a page on
the server itself. And from what I can tell, JavaScript doesn't have
the capability to write files on a local system either. Does anyone
have any ideas about how to go about this using JavaScript?

Thanks!

--Daniel Orner

Peeky

Daniel Orner said:
I've got an online system which I'm interested in making available
offline - i.e. letting the user download certain HTML forms, fill them
out offline, then the next time he logs into the site, sending all the
data he filled out to the system. However, I can't seem to come up
with a good way to do this. I thought of using cookies (that'd be
great, since the system could detect them automatically), but it seems
I can't set cookies for my server offline; it has to be from a page on
the server itself. And from what I can tell, JavaScript doesn't have
the capability to write files on a local system either. Does anyone
have any ideas about how to go about this using JavaScript?

Thanks!

--Daniel Orner

A suggestion would be to display your data as it would appear as a layout in
a form - thus your HTML code would contain the form <INPUT> tags with VALUEs
assigned to them (by you) (thus you'll have a dynmaically created form, with
its values pre-assigned ie <INPUT NAME=sampleText VALUE="this is some sample
text">)

The <FORM> action posts to your web server (thus <FORM METHOD=POST
ACTION=http://www.your-web-site.com/script.cgi>)

This means that if the client was to save the page to their local hard disk,
the form, with its values are saved too... When they call it back up
(regardless of its location on their disk) and submit the form, the data
that you dynamically filled would be reposted to your server...

Its just a suggestion... I never said it would be a nice one...