    What does the term "scalability of an application" mean?

    Thanks,

    Arpan
    Arpan, Oct 13, 2003

  2. Arpan

    Ray at Guest

    How well your application will work as the demand on it increases.

    i.e. You can make a web-based app that is coded very poorly from an
    efficiency point of view, and if only one person is using the app, it won't
    really matter. But, if your site gets really busy and suddenly 50,000
    people are using it, you will see that the application is not very scalable
    if it was coded poorly.

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Oct 13, 2003

  3. Arpan

    Mark Schupp Guest

    In addition to Ray's response "scalability" also includes the ability to add
    additional hardware resources to increase the number of users.

    For instance:
    session variables are considered an impediment to scalability because they
    use server memory to hold data and memory may be limited. Also session
    variables are not shared between web-servers in a web-farm so you cannot
    improve things just by adding more servers (there are some work-arounds for
    this however).

    Keeping session data in a database is considered "scaleable" because you can
    easily add web-servers to increase capacity. This is a more "scalable"
    solution than session variables even though it may require more hardware
    support for each individual user than using session variables would (SQL
    statement execution vs memory access).

    --
    Mark Schupp
    Head of Development

    Mark Schupp, Oct 15, 2003
  4. Arpan

    Arpan Guest

    I have got to confess that you as well as Ray have given a very good
    explanation & instances to make me understand the term "scalability". Thanks
    to both of you for the same :)

    Regards to you & Ray,

    Arpan

    Arpan, Oct 15, 2003