schedule a monthly ftp event

willitfw

Greetings,
I am looking for some guidance on a script.

My goals are:
1) have this script run automatically through a time set schedule.
2) verify if a file is updated on an ftp site (usually on the 15th of
the month).
3) If the updated file exists, ftp it to local drive.
4) e-mail other users when the file has been updated on the local
drive.

I realize this is quite extensive, but any leads or source code will be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom W.

Jeremy Bowers

Greetings,
I am looking for some guidance on a script.

My goals are:
1) have this script run automatically through a time set schedule.
2) verify if a file is updated on an ftp site (usually on the 15th of
the month).
3) If the updated file exists, ftp it to local drive.
4) e-mail other users when the file has been updated on the local
drive.

Operating system?

comp.lang.python can help you with the other stuff, but the scheduling is
OS-dependent. (Which isn't to say you won't get help, but it is,
technically, off topic.) On UNIX, use some "cron" varient, Windows has
some sort of Scheduler built in but I've never done anything with it but
turn it off, and I have no clue about Mac, though perhaps it has cron too
in OSX.

Peter Hansen

Jeremy said:
... On UNIX, use some "cron" varient, Windows has
some sort of Scheduler built in but I've never done anything with it but
turn it off

Modern Windowsen also have the "AT" command line program which is
sometimes a much more appropriate way to get at that capability than the
"Scheduler" GUI approach. Haven't had occasion to use either yet, myself...

Michael Hoffman

Peter said:
Modern Windowsen also have the "AT" command line program which is
sometimes a much more appropriate way to get at that capability than the
"Scheduler" GUI approach. Haven't had occasion to use either yet,
myself...

Personally I use the scheduler GUI and the schtasks.exe command-line
program which is an interface to the same capability. At.exe gives you
an interface to an older API.

But there is a Python interface to the older API. Here's an example:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/scripts/python/os/tasks/ostkpy01.mspx