Schedule a page --> run automacially?

Guest

I have written an ASPX page which gets the customers from the database, it
checks for new registrants. Then for every registrants, it send an HTML
email to them.

I want to make this process automated. So wondering if there is any way to
do it? any other suggestion? (I don't want to use SQLMail)

N.B.

Vaibhav

after the page is processed, in the end of the page you can specify
window.close().

Elliot M. Rodriguez

I just thought of a better workaround.

You can write a quick little console app that pushes a WebRequest for the
page you want to run. Once you get a response back and parse through the
stream, you'll know the page executed. Then the app will close itself.

Much better than my last idea, I think, as long as you are ok with running
it from your local machine.

Guest

I am not sure if this works as I tried it and Internet Explorer has a pop up
saying "The web page you are viewing is trying to close the window. Do you
want to close this window?"

This is a test

Guest

thanks. do you mean using VB? or can I run aspx page in console mode?

if that works, I think it can also make it run as a System Service using
servany (forgot the exact name of the application which can turn any EXE or
BAT file into NT service)

Vaibhav

try this
window.opener='xyz';
window.close();

n0sPaM said:
I am not sure if this works as I tried it and Internet Explorer has a pop up
saying "The web page you are viewing is trying to close the window. Do you
want to close this window?"

This is a test

as

Kevin Spencer

Yes, I do have a suggestion. A web page is a device for human interaction.
In this case, you don't need any human interaction. What you need to do is
to write a service, executable, or script that does this. If a service, it
can run continuously as your other services do. If it's an executable or a
script, you can schedule it with Task Scheduler.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
http://www.takempis.com
Big things are made up of
lots of little things.

Elliot M. Rodriguez

He is a FrontPage MVP. He is listed.

FrontPage

Cheryl D. Wise
Christoph Schneegans
Dave Beauchemin
David J. Berry
Gregory A. Beamer
Jack Brewster
James S. Huggins
Jens Peter Karlsen
Jim Buyens
Jon Spivey
Kathleen Anderson
----------->>>>>>>>Kevin Spencer
Louise Villeneuve
Mark E. Fitzpatrick
Paul Colligan
Riccardo Rausch
Stefan B. Rusynko
Stephen Travis
Thomas A. Rowe
Thomas D. Willett
Tiffany K Edmonds
Tom Lee, Jr

Geoff

Yes he is but he is not listed in any dotnet newsgroup. Frontage is a
long way from dotnet. he is clearly using the MVP title in the wrong
newsgroup. Being a MVP in frontpage is NOT being a MVP in dotnet technology.

Kevin Spencer

If you think that not specifying what software I support in my signature
implies that I have been awarded an MVP award for a certain software or
technology, you are making assumptions. Programmers that make assumptions
make mistakes. Not saying anything implies nothing.

As to what people who are awarded the MVP award SHOULD do, I would think
that your assumption regarding that is also erroneous. Don't you think that,
as Microsoft makes the awards, Microsoft should determine what MVPs should
or should not do?

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
http://www.takempis.com
Big things are made up of
lots of little things.

Severin

There is a more elegant way of doing this, IMO

I put a boolean field in the database, that has default value of False named
[sent]

If, when a user opens the 'LoggedOnUserHomePage' the value of [sent] is
checked, if it is False, then this is a NEWLY REGISTERED USER.

Then the page automatically emails the user a validation email (and changes
[sent] to True), with a link to an .aspx that changes another field named
[verified] to True -- then I have two boolean fields [sent]=True and
[verified]=True.

If the email that was [sent] bounces to my email address, I know an invalid
email was entered for that account, and I can easily delete the account.

Severin

Kevin Spencer

Not that it is any of your business, but I was offered to change my MVP
specialization at the last summit. I decided to continue with FrontPage as
FrontPage is a toolkit for developing all kinds of web sites, including web
applications, and there are very few real programmers in that group to help
people with ASP and ASP.Net-related questions. For your information (and
hopefully your satisfaction), I have been a professional Internet Developer
for 7 years, and have co-authored 2 books on Internet programming. I have
worked with ASP.Net and .Net development in general since beta 2 of Visual
Studio.Net, which would be about 2 years now. I am a senior developer for
the company I am presently with, and manage a team of ASP.Net developers.

Not that it is any of your business. Now, can we get back to discussing the
technology that this newgroup supports, instead of the people that support
it?

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
http://www.takempis.com
Big things are made up of
lots of little things.

Arnold

What a phony...Clearly you are trying to take credit for something you have
not earned. You are a fraud!

John Saunders

Even if you remove the entire scheduling issue, you've got a more f
undamental one. How are you going to cause an ASP.NET page to send its
output in an HTML e-mail?

Severin

that is an easy one!

I made a simple subroutine that does this

Private Sub SendEmail()
Dim objMM as New Mail.MailMessage
Try
objMM.BodyFormat = Mail.MailFormat.Html
objMM.From = "(e-mail address removed)"
objMM.To = "(e-mail address removed)"
objMM.Subject = "Verication Email"
objMM.Body = "Build a string that uses html elements like <table><a
href> or others"
'
Mail.SmtpMail.Send(objMM)
Catch ex as Exception
Throw ex
End Try
End Sub

John Saunders

I had the impression that the goal was to e-mail the HTML output of an
ASP.NET Web Form. If not, then I'm sorry for the confusion.

--
John Saunders
Internet Engineer