SciTE and 1.8.6

Jeffrey Bowen

I installed Ruby 1.8.6 this morning. At first I
thought my programs would no longer run in Windows. I
now know that they will run from a command prompt but
not thought SciTE. Anyone else had problems with
SciTE V1.72 and Ruby 1.8.6?

Jeff

Gordon Thiesfeld

I installed Ruby 1.8.6 this morning. At first I
thought my programs would no longer run in Windows. I
now know that they will run from a command prompt but
not thought SciTE. Anyone else had problems with
SciTE V1.72 and Ruby 1.8.6?

Here are some things to check:

# make sure the path to ruby.exe is in your path system environment
variable
C:\>path
PATH=c:\ruby\ruby186\bin;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem

# make sure .rb and .rbw are set in the pathext system environment
variable
C:\>echo %pathext%
..COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.RB;.RBW;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.tcl;.PSC1

# make sure the rubyopt system environment variable is set.
C:\>echo %rubyopt%
-rubygems

# make sure the file associations are there.
C:\>assoc .rb
..rb=rbFile

C:\>ftype rbfile
rbfile=c:\ruby\ruby186\bin\ruby.exe "%0" %*

# in Scite, open the ruby.properties file, and make sure the
command.go line looks like this:
command.go.*.rb=ruby $(FileNameExt)

# if it's a problem with a system environment variable, make sure you
set it in the gui, and not with the set command. Otherwise the
changes won't persist.

Here's some info on that: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310519