    a way to detect whether this is operational or not?

    Thanks,

    Ben

    Ben Baker, Jul 12, 2004

  2. Hi Ben,

    As far as I know its probably impossible to detect whether its running
    or not, but you could see whether it is installed. The problem is that
    you will have to find the class ID (CLSID). This is usually in the
    window registry. Open the registry editor ('regedit.exe') and open
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

    Below all the extentions are lists of objects. Most objects have
    classid's (CLSID). For example, Word.Application. You can copy the
    classID when you view it.

    The following script detects whether word and acrobat are installed on
    your computer:

    <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">

    monitor = new Array();

    function checkApplication(clsId, name) {
    s = '<object id="test_object'+monitor.length+'" '
    +'classid="clsid:'+clsId+'" '
    +'codebase="view-source:about:blank">&nbsp;</object>';
    document.writeln(s);
    monitor[monitor.length] = name;
    }

    function check() {
    for (i=0;i<monitor.length;i++) {
    if (monitor!=null) {
    obj = document.getElementById('test_object'+i);
    if (obj) {
    if (obj.readyState!=0) {
    alert("'"+monitor+"' is on this machine");
    }
    monitor = null;

    checkApplication('000209FF-0000-0000-C000-000000000046',
    'Microsoft Word');
    checkApplication('B801CA65-A1FC-11D0-85AD-444553540000',
    'Acrobat(Reader)');

    window.setInterval('check();', 1000);

    </SCRIPT>

    Well, I hope this helps a bit.

    Good luck,
    Vincent

    Vincent van Beveren, Jul 12, 2004

  3. (Ben Baker) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Is it possible to use javascript to detect if a screen reader is
    > running a on a users machine?
    >
    > I know that on a pc, screen readers use the MSSA interface. Is there
    > a way to detect whether this is operational or not?

    JavaScript do this cannot without some sort of (most likely insecure)
    extension to the browser to access the windows api.

    JavaScript can only talk within the browser windows with certain
    restictions.

    JsD

    Java script Dude, Jul 12, 2004