Script Errors and IE

Pachydermitis

Hi,
Any help would be appreciated. I can't get IE to show me my script
errors. This makes it impossible to debug anything.
Disable Script debugging (Internet Explorer) is unchecked
Disable Script debugging (Other) is unchecked
Display notification about every script error is Checked
Thanks for your help

guyfromchennai

Benxamin said:
Try double-clicking the yellow triange of death in the lower corner of
your IE browser window. It should pop-up a dialog box that allows you
to check "Always display this message when a page contains errors." And
then it gives you what it interpreted went wrong.

Tony's right. Go to 'GetFirefox.com' and download it. The JavaScript
console under the Tools menu is WORTH IT. Also invaluable is the Web
Developer extension.
Else you can use the following function that will alert you every time
with the line number,
message and with the file name
function ErrorSetting(msg, file_loc, line_no) {
var e_msg=msg;
var e_file=file_loc;
var e_line=line_no;
var error_d = "Error in file: " + file_loc +
"\nline number:" + line_no +
"\nMessage:" + msg;
alert(" Error Found !!!\n
--------------\n"+error_d);

return true;
}

window.onerror = ErrorSetting;

VK

Pachydermitis said:
Hi,
Any help would be appreciated. I can't get IE to show me my script
errors. This makes it impossible to debug anything.
Disable Script debugging (Internet Explorer) is unchecked
Disable Script debugging (Other) is unchecked

Are you sure that you have JScript Debigger installed? It is not a part
of default IE installation, while the relevant Internet Options are
still presented. Check to see if you have "Script Debugger" in IE's
"View" menu.

If not then go to:
<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2f465be0-94fd-4569-b3c4-dffdf19ccd99>

See also:
<http://groups.google.com/group/comp...e_frm/thread/24fbd439f1bca22/f405c0312a81982e>

Tony said:
Use Firefox

That's not going to help the massive proportion of web users who don't, is
it? Debugging isn't about using the browser as your every-day browser, but
development.

Why do people get so childish when IE is mentioned?

Pachydermitis

Thank you all for you posts, and thanks for taking the time to try to
help me.
- Yellow triangle - I dont even get one of these, I get nothing.
- That firefox debugger sounds great. The only question I have with
that is, each browser seems to have js accessable dom properties
specific to it, so that debugged code the works perfectly in firefox
still may not work in IE right?
- The debugger in the view menu gives me my studio develpers
environments. It is a bit frustrtaing having it open a new developer
environment for each error, but I will try that out and see it maybe it
will reset my standard popup errors - which although are arcane to say
the least, are I am quickly discovering, better than nothing.
Thanks again