Search documents from ASP.NET page

Roel Korsten

Hi all,

I keep uploaded documents (DOC / XLS / PDF / ...) in a SQL2000/2005-database
as a binary in an image data-typed field.

Now I want to search within these documents from my ASP.NET app.

I came across the "Indexing Service" (including the PDF filter from Adobe)
but with this I can only index documents that are physically on disk (not in
a database). I really want to keep the documents in the SQL-database because
otherwise replication is a pain.
Open and search the documents myself by using the VS Tools for Office but I
suspect this is going to perform very poor.

Anyone?

Greetings,
Roel

Roel Korsten

Just found out that "Full Text Search" of SQLServer is capable of indexing
image data-typed field.
Out-of-the-box for documents with the extensions .doc, .xls, .ppt, .txt and
..htm. You can also apply the PDF filter.

Greetings,
Roel