    Does anyone know any good products apart from Microsoft
    Index Server??

    Thanks,

    C, Jul 21, 2003

  2. We use Ultraseek, but it may be seen as expensive for your requirement . It
    really depends on what you are looking to get from searching, and the value
    of the product typically reflects the feature set. For example, are you
    looking to search within a database, or just within static files - what
    about dynamic apps, do you have navigation that can be recursively followed,
    or does it come to a dead end without the correct parameteres, do you pay
    for bandwidth - if so you need to find a non-aggressive search engine or it
    could hike your bills an awful lot. Are you expecting to install and manage
    this, or do you expect to use a hosted service.

    Have a look at what some of the free ones do, and then look at what you get
    when you pay for software.

    http://www.freefind.com/ costs nothing to use if you can put up with the

    And of course there is google in a box that you can buy for your network.

    Between those is a whole host of others, it really depends on what your
    requirement is.

    --
    Regards

    John Timney (Microsoft ASP.NET MVP)
    <shameless_author_plug>
    ISBN:1-861007-91-4
    Professional Windows Forms
    ISBN: 1861005547
    Professional JSP 2nd Edition
    ISBN: 1861004958
    Professional JSP
    ISBN: 1861003625
    Beginning JSP Web Development
    ISBN: 1861002092
    </shameless_author_plug>

    John Timney \(Microsoft MVP\), Jul 21, 2003

  3. C

    C Guest

    Thanks for your reply John.

    I mailny want to allow the user to search content on the
    site. Nothing else.

    C, Jul 22, 2003