    2) Where can I find a list of web sites where I could do my own
    submission (for FREE) ???

    Thanks.
    Internet Novice, Jun 20, 2008

  2. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Internet Novice
    <> writing in news:28a323ed-6b29-439c-8067-
    :

    > I read a post in this Newsgroup from 2000 that listed a sight that
    > would do FREE submissions to the various Search Engines so as to move
    > your web site higher on the search list.
    >
    > 1) Is there still a FREE service that will do this for me ???
    >
    > 2) Where can I find a list of web sites where I could do my own
    > submission (for FREE) ???
    >
    > Thanks.

    If your site is on the Internet, and there is a link to it anywhere,
    Google will find it, as will all the other bots, even those you have
    never heard of.

    The important thing is to have the site ready and accessible for the
    bots when they arrive.

    1. Title element that is relavent to each page
    2. Description meta element that is relavent for each page so Google and
    others will list the description in the SERPs
    3. Correct and relavent heading element(s)
    4. Good content - no bloat

    I would also suggest using semantic markup, use CSS for presentation.
    Valid markup (strict) also seems to help.

    You might want to go over to alt.internet.search-engines - lots of
    helpful folks over there. Search Engine Watch
    [http://searchenginewatch.com] has tips and links to smaller, niche
    engines.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, Jun 20, 2008

  3. Internet Novice

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 07:18:23 -0700 (PDT), Internet Novice
    <> wrote:

    >I read a post in this Newsgroup from 2000 that listed a sight that
    >would do FREE submissions to the various Search Engines so as to move
    >your web site higher on the search list.
    >
    >1) Is there still a FREE service that will do this for me ???
    >
    >2) Where can I find a list of web sites where I could do my own
    >submission (for FREE) ???
    >
    >Thanks.

    And just how will you know your submission gets done?
    The main reason the top sites get listed as they do is $$$$$$$
    to the search engines.

    Then that's not even a guarantee.

    Personally, I hate search engines because they don't do a proper
    search. What they look for is anything that matches, anywhere on the
    site or url. Just to give you results in the blink of an eye.

    Do any 3 word search. Google tries to match one hit to the entire list
    first. Then, it matches on either of 3 words and in any combination.
    It's up to you to search through 10,000 hits to find 10 that match
    yours.
    richard, Jun 20, 2008
  4. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed richard <>
    writing in news::

    > On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 07:18:23 -0700 (PDT), Internet Novice
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>I read a post in this Newsgroup from 2000 that listed a sight that
    >>would do FREE submissions to the various Search Engines so as to move
    >>your web site higher on the search list.
    >>
    >>1) Is there still a FREE service that will do this for me ???
    >>
    >>2) Where can I find a list of web sites where I could do my own
    >>submission (for FREE) ???
    >>
    >>Thanks.

    > And just how will you know your submission gets done?
    > The main reason the top sites get listed as they do is $$$$$$$
    > to the search engines.
    >
    > Then that's not even a guarantee.
    >
    > Personally, I hate search engines because they don't do a proper
    > search. What they look for is anything that matches, anywhere on the
    > site or url. Just to give you results in the blink of an eye.
    >
    > Do any 3 word search. Google tries to match one hit to the entire list
    > first. Then, it matches on either of 3 words and in any combination.
    > It's up to you to search through 10,000 hits to find 10 that match
    > yours.

    Well, you don't know what you're looking for. I seem to be able to find
    what I want usually within the first page.

    Adrienne Boswell, Jun 21, 2008