search engine

hairy colleague

hi all
we need a site wide search engine [no ads] for a small site <100 pages
not sure where to start.....would be gratefull for some tips or urls
it is for a community based indigenous art gallery
tnx in advance

relloman

Roy Schestowitz

hairy said:
hi all
we need a site wide search engine [no ads] for a small site <100 pages
not sure where to start.....would be gratefull for some tips or urls
it is for a community based indigenous art gallery
tnx in advance

relloman

Try PhpDig (http://www.phpdig.net/) or ht://Dig (http://www.htdig.org/). I
don't think any of them does the job as well as Google site search (in fact
I am pretty convinced that this is the case), but they at lease handle
content without exposing it to the outside world.

Roy

Big Bill

hi all
we need a site wide search engine [no ads] for a small site <100 pages
not sure where to start.....would be gratefull for some tips or urls
it is for a community based indigenous art gallery
tnx in advance

relloman

www.atomz.com

BB

Jukka K. Korpela

we need a site wide search engine [no ads] for a small site <100
pages not sure where to start.....

http://www.freefind.com is very easy to get started with and offers
a fairly good search, with wildcards.
it is for a community based indigenous art gallery

Beware that search engines "see" only text. Do not rely on any <meta>
hacks or other "hidden" text. Make sure the pages contain information
about the images as normal textual content e.g. as image captions and
associated explanations

Cynthia Turcotte

relloman,

point your browser to www.hotscripts.com and click on your programming
language of
choice (CGI, PHP, ASP, etc...) and then click on SCRIPTS and choose your
category. You
will find TONS of scripts -- some free, some not.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Cynthia