Searches in multiple RSS feeds -> new rss feed

Discussion in 'XML' started by Motta, Jun 9, 2004.

  1. Motta

    Motta Guest

    Motta, Jun 9, 2004

  2. Motta

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 14:54:22 +0200, "Motta" <> wrote:

    >Anyone seen that or knows how to do it?

    Yes, I built such an aggregator a few years ago (2001).

    Then I stopped work on it. The sad thing was that it worked
    beautifully when the feeds contained good metadata, very poorly when
    they didn't. And even today, metadata is the exception rather than the
    rule.

    It's quite easy to build an aggregator that can be configured to look
    for "multiple sclerosis" stories. It's interestingly more complex to
    build one that you don't configure, but can observe your chosen
    reading patterns (Bayesian algorithms help, and look at what teh
    spam-filtering people are doing). However a similar search for
    "planes" (in the woodworking sense) is doomed, because it's swamped by
    the aircraft industry. This is a similar problem to Google's in
    indexing the web. If there's a PigeonRank out there for aggregators,
    then it's unknown to me.

    It's an interesting project though. If I had money to live off, I
    might do some work on it.

    --
    Smert' spamionam

    Andy Dingley, Jun 9, 2004