Searching debugger for Java

Steffen Waldherr

I am looking for a debugger for Java which is more comfortable to use than
jdb. Do you have any hints? And, it should run under a Linux system...

Thanks, Steffen

http://www.usenet.com

Mickey Segal

Steffen Waldherr said:
I am looking for a debugger for Java which is more comfortable to use than
jdb. Do you have any hints?

While we are looking for debuggers, what is the state of the art of
debugging into servlets? Do some IDEs allow you to step through code being
run by a servlet in the same way one can step through app or applet code?

Thomas Kellerer

Mickey said:
While we are looking for debuggers, what is the state of the art of
debugging into servlets? Do some IDEs allow you to step through code being
run by a servlet in the same way one can step through app or applet code?
NetBeans can do that (and debugging of JSP pages on the JSP level as well)

Thomas

Wendy S

Mickey Segal said:
While we are looking for debuggers, what is the state of the art of
debugging into servlets? Do some IDEs allow you to step through code being
run by a servlet in the same way one can step through app or applet code?

Most of my Servlet debugging is done with log statements, but to step
through code, I start Tomcat in debug mode. On Windows it's 'catalina.bat
jpda start'

And then connect to it with, JSwat. Then tell JSwat where all the source
code is-- yours, Tomcat's, even the source for the Java classes that you can
download from Sun. Set a breakpoint, access your Servlet with a browser,
and JSwat will stop at your breakpoint and you can step through the code.

-Wendy S

Sudsy

Mickey said:
While we are looking for debuggers, what is the state of the art of
debugging into servlets? Do some IDEs allow you to step through code being
run by a servlet in the same way one can step through app or applet code?

Eclipse can do it. Mighty slick and you don't have to put all those
println statements in your code.

Kai Grossjohann

Steffen Waldherr said:
I am looking for a debugger for Java which is more comfortable to use than
jdb. Do you have any hints? And, it should run under a Linux system...

JSWAT (or similar) is touted to be good, though I've never tried.

Eclipse includes a debugger which looks nice.

The JDEE add-on package for Emacs comes with a friendly interface for
the JDEBug debugger, which is also part of JDEE. JDEE also provides
an interface for jdb.

Kai