Seeking recommendation for Web framework

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by canfieldsteve@hotmail.com, Mar 26, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I'm getting ready to set up a new web site, and of course I'd like to
    avoid doing a lot of work that's already been done before. I'm
    looking at the list of frameworks that are out there, but there are so
    many. Perhaps someone here can recommend something for my needs.

    Here's what I need:

    - Basic authentication stuff: The site will require users to login and
    out. There should be your basic authentication stuff: a login form, a
    logout page, and an "I forgot my password" page.

    - Minimal magic: Let me code my way. A lot of frameworks seem to be
    built on the idea that I should code the way the framework designers
    code. I don't want to be forced into someone else's idea of The Right
    Way. I also don't need or want a lot of features beyond the
    authentication stuff. I actually find that the more a framework talks
    about how easy it will make my life, the more difficult it makes my
    life.

    - Easy install: The site I'm creating will eventually be released open
    source. I'd like to avoid telling potential users of my site that
    first they have to install some huge framework. Really, I'd love it
    if the framework just consisted of just one or two modules that can be
    copied into one of the @INC directories and that's the whole install.

    Any suggestions?

    , Mar 26, 2007

  2. Jamie Guest

    In <>,
    mentions:
    >I'm getting ready to set up a new web site, and of course I'd like to
    >avoid doing a lot of work that's already been done before. I'm
    >looking at the list of frameworks that are out there, but there are so
    >many. Perhaps someone here can recommend something for my needs.

    I know what you mean about there being so many I've looked at them
    in the past as well.

    >- Basic authentication stuff: The site will require users to login and
    >out. There should be your basic authentication stuff: a login form, a
    >logout page, and an "I forgot my password" page.
    >
    >- Minimal magic: Let me code my way. A lot of frameworks seem to be
    >built on the idea that I should code the way the framework designers
    >code. I don't want to be forced into someone else's idea of The Right

    If it weren't for the user authentication issue, I'd probably just
    recommend writing your own MVC, seriously. It's not hard and you'll end
    up with exactly what you need and nothing else. I've written a few of them
    and thus far have never regretted that approach.

    If you can work out the authentication, I did a "controversial" blurb about
    MVC's here: http://weird.podro.com/gouf/art/model_view_controlers_take_two/
    (sorry for the crummy site, some day I'll get around to cleaning it up)

    Basically, I feel the MVC is such a critical part of any application that
    you probably should write it yourself (or at least, go in and literally
    /chop out/ portions of someone elses that you don't need)

    I'm not pushing for it, but, you're certainly welcome to yank the packages
    from that site, customize/strip them and call it your own.
    (thus eliminating the need for your users to install anything)

    If you do that, you probably *should* strip out the junk you're not using in
    the very beginning, it's always easier to add code than it is to remove it,
    chopping it in the very beginning can help. I used Config::General, you
    may not like that. I've ripped the CGI::Session bit out in the past for
    other projects.

    Big frameworks carry big bloat, 80% of which you'll probably never use, 20% of
    it could be done better if it were tailored for /your/ application. (Just
    look at Java.. 60 billion frameworks, yet it's impossible to design a decent
    termcap interface that handles SIGWINCH.)

    Small frameworks are good, but probably won't operate in a manner that
    fits in with your design plans.

    I'm not talking a cut-n-paste operation, doing that (without knowing what
    it does) is silly and dangerous. I like code re-use as well (Heck, I love
    the Config::General module!)

    MVC is more of an idea than a framework.

    This really isn't intended as flame-bait, I completely respect anyone
    who disagrees on this. (I suspect most people will)

    Just my $0.02 I suppose if it had to use components from other programs I might
    be a little less down on them, I don't hate them or anything, I just think
    we've gone a little overboard with them.

    Jamie
    Perl * Java * UNIX User Management Solutions

    Jamie, Mar 27, 2007

  3. Mirco Wahab Guest

    wrote:
    > Here's what I need:
    > - Basic authentication stuff: The site will require users to login and
    > out. There should be your basic authentication stuff: a login form, a
    > logout page, and an "I forgot my password" page.
    >
    > - Minimal magic: Let me code my way. A lot of frameworks seem to be
    > built on the idea that I should code the way the framework designers
    > code. I don't want to be forced into someone else's idea of The Right
    > Way. I also don't need or want a lot of features beyond the
    > authentication stuff. I actually find that the more a framework talks
    > about how easy it will make my life, the more difficult it makes my
    > life.
    >
    > - Easy install: The site I'm creating will eventually be released open
    > source. I'd like to avoid telling potential users of my site that
    > first they have to install some huge framework. Really, I'd love it
    > if the framework just consisted of just one or two modules that can be
    > copied into one of the @INC directories and that's the whole install.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    This has 5 characters and is spelled M.A.S.O.N, which is
    not exactly a "web framework" but possibly a high level
    tool for creating one. It installs without any problems
    on any platform I came about.

    If you have your content available and structured somehow,
    you can hack together the web application w/MASON in almost
    no time. It integrates perfectly into Apache infrastructure,
    you can have it handle parts of your site or all of it.

    There are 'inside out' [C]ontrollers which you can place
    somewhere in the file system (autohandler and dhandler),
    there are two good books available an even I managed
    to set up a Web application while learning Perl in the
    time (almost 1 1/2 year ago ...

    Its has much of the Perl spirit, in my opinion.

    That leaves the authentication question, which
    you may completely separate from the app, by
    moving it into some Apache2-Auth/DB handler.

    Of course you may hack it in a short time into the
    Mason appp by opening the Auth-DB first in an
    <ONCE> ... </ONCE> statement and sending sha1-strings
    back and forth (Browser) via cookies. Whatever ;-)

    Regards

    Mirco

    Mirco Wahab, Mar 27, 2007