seeking servlet "Master" keep getting "Master/servlet/Master" not found. Tomcat 5.0.25

Discussion in 'Java' started by Doug McCann, Aug 5, 2004.

  1. Doug McCann

    Doug McCann Guest

    I am using all stock files in $CATALINA_HOME/conf from distribution,
    except tomcat-users.xml. I have read a couple of thing regarding
    conf/Catalina/localhost but there were other materials that seemed to
    contradict this. I do not know if I have to modify another file.
    This servlet is already deployed on our network with an older tomcat,
    and it is accessed simply by http://intranet/Master. It is important
    that this does not change.

    Here is my web.xml file:

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE web-app

    <web-app>
    <servlet>
    <servlet-name>Master</servlet-name>
    <display-name>Master</display-name>
    <description>Master Schedule</description>
    <servlet-class>Master</servlet-class>
    <init-param>
    omitted
    </init-param>
    </servlet>
    <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>Master</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>/Master</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>
    <session-config>
    <session-timeout> 30 </session-timeout>
    </session-config>
    <welcome-file-list>
    <welcome-file> index.jsp </welcome-file>
    <welcome-file> index.html </welcome-file>
    </welcome-file-list>
    <security-constraint>
    --omitted--
    </security-constraint>
    <login-config>
    <auth-method>BASIC</auth-method>
    <realm-name>Master</realm-name>
    </login-config>
    </web-app>

    I think this is related to a default application, but I am out of
    ideas and getting very late on this tomcat upgrade. Sincere thanks to
    respondents.

    Doug McCann

    Doug McCann, Aug 5, 2004

  2. On 5 Aug 2004 08:24:34 -0700, Doug McCann <> wrote:

    > I am using all stock files in $CATALINA_HOME/conf from distribution,
    > except tomcat-users.xml. I have read a couple of thing regarding
    > conf/Catalina/localhost but there were other materials that seemed to
    > contradict this. I do not know if I have to modify another file.
    > This servlet is already deployed on our network with an older tomcat,
    > and it is accessed simply by http://intranet/Master. It is important
    > that this does not change.
    >
    > Here is my web.xml file:
    >
    > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    > <!DOCTYPE web-app
    > PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 2.3//EN"
    > "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd">
    >
    > <web-app>
    > <servlet>
    > <servlet-name>Master</servlet-name>
    > <display-name>Master</display-name>
    > <description>Master Schedule</description>
    > <servlet-class>Master</servlet-class>

    <annoying_buzzer_noise/>

    Put your servlet class in a package. What you have is
    in the "default package" - the JVM looks for it in the
    "current" directory which you have no control over.

    The older system that worked must have been using
    the "invoker" servlet to find that class. More modern
    Tomcats have the invoker turned off by default. You can
    read more about the invoker at JavaRanch

    http://faq.javaranch.com/view?InvokerServlet

    JR is a good place to ask servlet related questions.

    William Brogden, Aug 5, 2004