seeking servlet "Master" keep getting "Master/servlet/Master" not found. Tomcat 5.0.25

Doug McCann

I am using all stock files in $CATALINA_HOME/conf from distribution,
except tomcat-users.xml. I have read a couple of thing regarding
conf/Catalina/localhost but there were other materials that seemed to
contradict this. I do not know if I have to modify another file.
This servlet is already deployed on our network with an older tomcat,
and it is accessed simply by http://intranet/Master. It is important
that this does not change.

Here is my web.xml file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE web-app

<web-app>
<servlet>
<servlet-name>Master</servlet-name>
<display-name>Master</display-name>
<description>Master Schedule</description>
<servlet-class>Master</servlet-class>
<init-param>
omitted
</init-param>
</servlet>
<servlet-mapping>
<servlet-name>Master</servlet-name>
<url-pattern>/Master</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>
<session-config>
<session-timeout> 30 </session-timeout>
</session-config>
<welcome-file-list>
<welcome-file> index.jsp </welcome-file>
<welcome-file> index.html </welcome-file>
</welcome-file-list>
<security-constraint>
--omitted--
</security-constraint>
<login-config>
<auth-method>BASIC</auth-method>
<realm-name>Master</realm-name>
</login-config>
</web-app>

I think this is related to a default application, but I am out of
ideas and getting very late on this tomcat upgrade. Sincere thanks to
respondents.

Doug McCann

William Brogden

I am using all stock files in $CATALINA_HOME/conf from distribution,
except tomcat-users.xml. I have read a couple of thing regarding
conf/Catalina/localhost but there were other materials that seemed to
contradict this. I do not know if I have to modify another file.
This servlet is already deployed on our network with an older tomcat,
and it is accessed simply by http://intranet/Master. It is important
that this does not change.

Here is my web.xml file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE web-app

<web-app>
<servlet>
<servlet-name>Master</servlet-name>
<display-name>Master</display-name>
<description>Master Schedule</description>
<servlet-class>Master</servlet-class>

<annoying_buzzer_noise/>

Put your servlet class in a package. What you have is
in the "default package" - the JVM looks for it in the
"current" directory which you have no control over.

The older system that worked must have been using
the "invoker" servlet to find that class. More modern
Tomcats have the invoker turned off by default. You can
read more about the invoker at JavaRanch

http://faq.javaranch.com/view?InvokerServlet

JR is a good place to ask servlet related questions.