Semantic link markup?

ReGenesis0

I'm doing development for a media-fandom wiki that includes several
different "types" of pages.

We've got a custom link template used for "the source this section
refers to." (As opposed to a "peer" page.) I'd /like/ to do some
sort of semantic link tagging to reflect this relationship (since all
these links are filtered through the same template, that should be
possible) but I don't know the first thing about semantic tagging, and
all the documents I read about it are either high-level XML or
proposals for ad-hoc systems using classes to provide context dating
from 2006.

IS there a decent standard or system emerging for providing context
for links in HTML rather than XML? I really feel like it's where the
internet is moving, and I'd like for us to meet it halfway.

-Derik

I V

IS there a decent standard or system emerging for providing context for
links in HTML rather than XML? I really feel like it's where the
internet is moving, and I'd like for us to meet it halfway.

HTML does specify the "rel" attribute for marking what relationship the
linked-to document has to the document containing the link ( http://
www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/types.html#h-6.12 ). The microformats.org people
seem to have some interest in developing a common vocabulary of link
types beyond the ones in the HTML specification ( http://microformats.org/
wiki/rel-design-pattern ), and they mention, as a "brainstorming"
suggestion, the use of "cite" to document that a link points to a source
( http://microformats.org/wiki/existing-rel-values#brainstorming ), so
that might be an option.