semi off topic 3d modeling

Travis Newbury

Recently, with some of the web based learning aids we create we have
found that the objects we need images for do not exist (affordable) in
the real world. We have had to turn to photo realistic 3D modeling to
create the needed images. While venturing into 3D modeling is probably
not for the light hearted, we found Swift 3D by Electric Rain
(www.erain.com) is about the most affordable (less than $200 US) tool
with a very small (small is relative) learning curve. Swift 3D not only
allows us an easy (again relative, it took me an entire day to create my
first photo realistic coffee cup with our logo) way to create images.
It also allows us to animate the images and export directly to Flash.
My current project is to create a "McDonalds" style drive through for a
non existent fast food restaurant to be green screened into an on line
training video. I am estimating a 7 business days to make the image.
That gives you an idea of the commitment this takes.

If you are thinking of venturing into the world of 3D modeling for
images on your website, you will want to take a look at this tool. It
is affordable, and has a smaller than usual learning curve. Though, for
this price, the output is obviously not Maya quality.

Now back to our regularly scheduled threads...

SpaceGirl

Travis said:
[...]

Swift3D is a terrible modelling tool. At best, it's an okay animation
tool for *existing* 3D models. You really need to use a "real" 3d
program if you want to do any 3D modelling.

We use 3D studio MAX for modelling, and Swift for turning those models
into short animations for Flash. Sadly, MAX is not cheap :(

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

mbstevens

Travis said:
While venturing into 3D
modeling is probably not for the light hearted, we found
Swift 3D by Electric Rain (www.erain.com) is about the
most affordable (less than $200 US)

more affordable Blender (less than $1 US).

Travis Newbury

mbstevens said:
more affordable Blender (less than $1 US).

Based on a quick first impression (www.blender3d.org) I find it very
slow and you need to have a python engine on your system to take full
advantage (but it is not required), and it is not intuitive (no 3d
imaging tool will be intuitive). Bottom line, I would give it 2 thumbs
up and put it in the same category I would with GIMP. This is well
worth the money (free).

mbstevens

Travis said:
Based on a quick first impression (www.blender3d.org) I
find it very slow and you need to have a python engine
on your system to take full advantage (but it is not
required), and it is not intuitive (no 3d
imaging tool will be intuitive). Bottom line, I would
give it 2 thumbs
up and put it in the same category I would with GIMP.
This is well worth the money (free).
Ride the Google Llama to the things that have actually
been done with it by graphic artists. There's some slick
stuff out there.

SpaceGirl

mbstevens said:
Travis Newbury wrote:

Ride the Google Llama to the things that have actually
been done with it by graphic artists. There's some slick
stuff out there.

Yeah, but back in the days of... "Last Star Fighter" etc (1984) and
"Tron" almost all of the 3d modelling was done by hand... by typing in
to co-ordinates of each line! The end result was startling (for then)
but there were no real modelling tools, and you had to know more about
maths than image composition! Brr.

There are free versions of "3D studio MAX" and "Maya", and I suggest the
OP takes a look at these. They are industry standards in game-building
and movies.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Travis Newbury

SpaceGirl said:
Swift3D is a terrible modelling tool. At best, it's an okay animation
tool for *existing* 3D models. You really need to use a "real" 3d
program if you want to do any 3D modelling.
We use 3D studio MAX for modelling, and Swift for turning those models
into short animations for Flash. Sadly, MAX is not cheap :(

We look at Swift, 3D Max, and Maya, and I agree the last 2 are beter,
but Swift was the one with the most bang for your buck.

Dylan Parry

SpaceGirl said:
Yeah, but back in the days of... "Last Star Fighter" etc (1984) and
"Tron" almost all of the 3d modelling was done by hand... by typing in
to co-ordinates of each line!

It's quite satisfying to create a 3D animation by hand. I did one for a
graphics module in my Master's, where I had to understand the principles
behind the GUI tools, and wrote[1] my own *.rib files (Pixar standard)
to create an animation of a Pixar-style lamp. It was very fun, but not
something I would want to do for more than a couple of minutes worth of
animation!

[1] I actually wrote the base files, then using Java I filled in the
gaps to take the animation up to four minutes in length (~6000 frames)