Send Alerts to web clients?

Luis Esteban Valencia

Is there a way to send timed alerts to ALL web clients conencted to the IIS
server (on a server level)?

IF NOT

Is there a way to send timed alerts to ALL web clients using a certain .Net
web application?

IF NOT

Is there a way to send timed alerts to ALL web clients using a certain .Net
web page?

Jeff @ Dart

Is there a way to send timed alerts to ALL web clients using a
certain .Net
Hey Luis, did you get a chance to try out our product?

You could easily do the third option by combining the techniques
demonstrated here:
http://www.dart.com/livetutorial/di..._using_LiveSound.ascx&heading=Using LiveSound
[demonstrates polling the server with a timer]

with the techniques demonstrated here:
http://www.dart.com/livetutorial/di...eMessageBox.ascx&heading=Using LiveMessageBox
[demonstrates showing an alert via a server-side method]

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

The short answer is no.
Web pages are request-based.
The web browser must initiate all requests, the server simply cannot contact
a web client.

To get around this you must have more advanced code running on the client,
such as a windows forms application that can handle real networking code.
Remoting is generally the best solution.