Send Keystrokes to Client Side Application

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Lucas Tam, Dec 1, 2004.

  1. Lucas Tam

    Lucas Tam Guest

    Hi all,

    Has anyone done this before? Send client side keystrokes to an application
    from a webpapge? This maybe more of a Javascript question.

    In short, I have an application on the client's desktop that needs to
    communicate with an ASP.NET application. The only interface into the
    application are keystrokes and DDE.

    Is there anyway to raise client side keystrokes or DDE via javascript?
    Perhaps the Win32 PostMessage function might work?

    Or could a Winforms control hosted in IE work?

    Any ideas?

    --
    Lucas Tam ()
    Lucas Tam, Dec 1, 2004

  2. Lucas Tam

    WizyDig Guest

    your problem is really capturing the key strokes on the web app. it will be
    getting those into the program. You will have to get a handle to the window
    the keystrokes need to be entered on. I would suggest going over to the
    windows side and get help there on how to get wnhnd pointer. Once you have
    your handle to the window you will need to walk the windows child stack to
    find the text box you want the strokes entered in. Once you have that part
    solve there are a number of ways you can caputure the keystrokes. DDE isn't
    bad either it begins with DDEInitiated and the command would be given with
    DDEExecute. It might actually be easier to use DDE than getting a window
    handle. It depends on your skill set. I've done bothe the DDE and the
    windows handle back in the day but's been awhile since I have needed to do
    either.

    - wiz

    WizyDig, Dec 1, 2004

  3. Lucas Tam

    Lucas Tam Guest

    "WizyDig" <> wrote in

    > DDE isn't
    > bad either it begins with DDEInitiated and the command would be given
    > with DDEExecute. It might actually be easier to use DDE than getting
    > a window handle. It depends on your skill set. I've done bothe the
    > DDE and the windows handle back in the day but's been awhile since I
    > have needed to do either.

    From what I read DDE seems to have been taken out of .NET. And I'm not sure
    how to instantiate a DDE Client through scripting.

    Now that I think about this more, I might have to post this question in a
    scripting group too.

    --
    Lucas Tam ()
    Lucas Tam, Dec 1, 2004
  4. Lucas Tam

    bruce barker Guest

    it can not be done in native javascript (think of the security holes this
    would allow). you will have to supply an active/x control to do the dde.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Dec 2, 2004
  5. Lucas Tam

    Lucas Tam Guest

    "bruce barker" <> wrote in news:u#faHjA2EHA.2156
    @TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:

    > it can not be done in native javascript (think of the security holes this
    > would allow). you will have to supply an active/x control to do the dde.

    I was digging through some posts on Google Groups... seems like Windows
    Scripting Host can be used to send key strokes. I wrote a small sample
    script it seemed to work OK - not very reliable tho (the keys are just
    sent... and if there is anything blocking the receiving app, the keys will
    be lost).

    But it's a start... :)

    --
    Lucas Tam ()
    Lucas Tam, Dec 2, 2004
  6. Lucas Tam

    WizyDig Guest

    Here's the link to it in your integrated MSDN. It comes with the platform
    SDK. DDE is the basis of OLE both are an integral parts of the OS.
    ms-help://MS.VSCC.2003/MS.MSDNQTR.2003FEB.1033/winui/winui/windowsuserinterf
    ace/dataexchange/dynamicdataexchangemanagementlibrary/dynamicdataexchangeman
    agementreference/dynamicdataexchangemanagementfunctions/ddeinitialize.htm

    "Lucas Tam" <> wrote in message
    > "WizyDig" <> wrote in
    >
    > > DDE isn't
    > > bad either it begins with DDEInitiated and the command would be given
    > > with DDEExecute. It might actually be easier to use DDE than getting
    > > a window handle. It depends on your skill set. I've done bothe the
    > > DDE and the windows handle back in the day but's been awhile since I
    > > have needed to do either.
    > >

    > From what I read DDE seems to have been taken out of .NET. And I'm not

    sure

    WizyDig, Dec 2, 2004