Send mail from localhost - Returns false

Stuart Palmer

I have had for sometime a problem getting cdo.message to work, so I have
given up on this and tried to test a form on my localhost machine using
CDONTS again (this used to work)

I have win 2000 Pro and when running this simple code:
------------
Set objSendmail = Server.CreateObject("CDONTS.NewMail")
objSendmail.From = "(e-mail address removed)"
objSendmail.To = "(e-mail address removed)"
objSendmail.Subject = "Subject Line"
objSendmail.Body = "Message"
objSendmail.Importance = 2
bolWasSent = objSendmail.Send
Set objSendmail = Nothing

response.write(bolWasSent)
-----------

bolWasSent returns false and I get no mail.....it used to pop up a sending
window for outlook express andseconds later my test mail arrived. Looking in
my mailroot dir no mails are created.

Has anyone ay idea what the problem could be and how I can get this working
as it used to, but I have no idea what I have done.

Many thx, I'm desperate......working out whats wrong with CDONTS being sent
may even help fix sending mail with CDO which I'll then go back to.

Stu

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

Stop using CDONTS; use CDO.Message.
http://www.aspfaq.com/2336
http://www.aspfaq.com/2026

Why Outlook Express did or should pop up is a mystery to me. When your
application lives on a real web server, it is unlikely that Outlook Express
will have a valid account established, and even less likely that such a user
would be logged in every time this ASP code is invoked. Don't attempt to
use GUI applications from ASP, or to judge the success of the ASP code.

Jeff Cochran

I have had for sometime a problem getting cdo.message to work, so I have
given up on this and tried to test a form on my localhost machine using
CDONTS again (this used to work)

I have win 2000 Pro and when running this simple code:
------------
Set objSendmail = Server.CreateObject("CDONTS.NewMail")
objSendmail.From = "(e-mail address removed)"
objSendmail.To = "(e-mail address removed)"
objSendmail.Subject = "Subject Line"
objSendmail.Body = "Message"
objSendmail.Importance = 2
bolWasSent = objSendmail.Send
Set objSendmail = Nothing

response.write(bolWasSent)
-----------

bolWasSent returns false and I get no mail.....it used to pop up a sending
window for outlook express andseconds later my test mail arrived. Looking in
my mailroot dir no mails are created.

CDONTS should not pop up an Outlook Express window when sending. Do
you have SMTP running on this system (if not, CDONTS doesn't work)?
Have you tested the SMTP service? See:

HOW TO: Test Windows 2000 IIS SMTP Services Manually
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;286421
Has anyone ay idea what the problem could be and how I can get this working
as it used to, but I have no idea what I have done.

Many thx, I'm desperate......working out whats wrong with CDONTS being sent
may even help fix sending mail with CDO which I'll then go back to.

Fixing CDONTS may or may not help, but fixing your CDO issue would be
the way to go anyway, if that's what you intend to use.

Jeff

Stuart Palmer

Hi Jeff,
I suspect they are related (they seem to give the same results), ideally
I'd like to use CDO but they should be using the same process I would have
thought, I just know for a fact the cdonts used to work.

I have run through the instructions at the url you supplied:

helo me
250 mydesktop Hello [127.0.0.1]
mail from:[email protected]
250 2.1.0 (e-mail address removed)....Sender OK
rcpt to:[email protected]
550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for (e-mail address removed)

Where mydomain is my sites domainame, and me is my name (a valid email
address for my site)

I couldn't get any further than the rcpt to: line as it reports it cannot
relay (see above)

What could I do to sort this....it wouldn't suprise me if this is my
problem.

Thx
Stu

Jeff Cochran

Hi Jeff,
I suspect they are related (they seem to give the same results), ideally
I'd like to use CDO but they should be using the same process I would have
thought, I just know for a fact the cdonts used to work.

CDO can use a remote SMTP server, CDONTS needs a local one. CDONTS
also is deprecated.
I have run through the instructions at the url you supplied:

helo me
250 mydesktop Hello [127.0.0.1]
mail from:[email protected]
250 2.1.0 (e-mail address removed)....Sender OK
rcpt to:[email protected]
550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for (e-mail address removed)

Where mydomain is my sites domainame, and me is my name (a valid email
address for my site)

I couldn't get any further than the rcpt to: line as it reports it cannot
relay (see above)

Then it's not your code. The SMTP server is not configured to relay
mail for the sending system. Set your SMTP server to relay for
127.0.0.1 and you should be golden. See a SMTP group or the docs for
your operating system fo details.

Jeff