Send mail from localhost - Returns false

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Stuart Palmer, Mar 18, 2005.

  1. I have had for sometime a problem getting cdo.message to work, so I have
    given up on this and tried to test a form on my localhost machine using
    CDONTS again (this used to work)

    I have win 2000 Pro and when running this simple code:
    ------------
    Set objSendmail = Server.CreateObject("CDONTS.NewMail")
    objSendmail.From = ""
    objSendmail.To = ""
    objSendmail.Subject = "Subject Line"
    objSendmail.Body = "Message"
    objSendmail.Importance = 2
    bolWasSent = objSendmail.Send
    Set objSendmail = Nothing

    response.write(bolWasSent)
    -----------

    bolWasSent returns false and I get no mail.....it used to pop up a sending
    window for outlook express andseconds later my test mail arrived. Looking in
    my mailroot dir no mails are created.

    Has anyone ay idea what the problem could be and how I can get this working
    as it used to, but I have no idea what I have done.

    Many thx, I'm desperate......working out whats wrong with CDONTS being sent
    may even help fix sending mail with CDO which I'll then go back to.

    Stu

    Stuart Palmer, Mar 18, 2005

  2. Stop using CDONTS; use CDO.Message.
    http://www.aspfaq.com/2336
    http://www.aspfaq.com/2026

    Why Outlook Express did or should pop up is a mystery to me. When your
    application lives on a real web server, it is unlikely that Outlook Express
    will have a valid account established, and even less likely that such a user
    would be logged in every time this ASP code is invoked. Don't attempt to
    use GUI applications from ASP, or to judge the success of the ASP code.

    --
    Please post DDL, sample data and desired results.
    See http://www.aspfaq.com/5006 for info.

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Mar 18, 2005

  3. Stuart Palmer

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 17:50:22 GMT, "Stuart Palmer"
    <> wrote:

    >I have had for sometime a problem getting cdo.message to work, so I have
    >given up on this and tried to test a form on my localhost machine using
    >CDONTS again (this used to work)
    >
    >I have win 2000 Pro and when running this simple code:
    >------------
    >Set objSendmail = Server.CreateObject("CDONTS.NewMail")
    > objSendmail.From = ""
    > objSendmail.To = ""
    > objSendmail.Subject = "Subject Line"
    > objSendmail.Body = "Message"
    > objSendmail.Importance = 2
    > bolWasSent = objSendmail.Send
    >Set objSendmail = Nothing
    >
    >response.write(bolWasSent)
    >-----------
    >
    >bolWasSent returns false and I get no mail.....it used to pop up a sending
    >window for outlook express andseconds later my test mail arrived. Looking in
    >my mailroot dir no mails are created.

    CDONTS should not pop up an Outlook Express window when sending. Do
    you have SMTP running on this system (if not, CDONTS doesn't work)?
    Have you tested the SMTP service? See:

    HOW TO: Test Windows 2000 IIS SMTP Services Manually
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;286421

    >Has anyone ay idea what the problem could be and how I can get this working
    >as it used to, but I have no idea what I have done.
    >
    >Many thx, I'm desperate......working out whats wrong with CDONTS being sent
    >may even help fix sending mail with CDO which I'll then go back to.

    Fixing CDONTS may or may not help, but fixing your CDO issue would be
    the way to go anyway, if that's what you intend to use.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Mar 18, 2005
  4. Hi Jeff,
    I suspect they are related (they seem to give the same results), ideally
    I'd like to use CDO but they should be using the same process I would have
    thought, I just know for a fact the cdonts used to work.

    I have run through the instructions at the url you supplied:

    helo me
    250 mydesktop Hello [127.0.0.1]
    mail from:
    250 2.1.0 ....Sender OK
    rcpt to:
    550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for

    Where mydomain is my sites domainame, and me is my name (a valid email
    address for my site)

    I couldn't get any further than the rcpt to: line as it reports it cannot
    relay (see above)

    What could I do to sort this....it wouldn't suprise me if this is my
    problem.

    Thx
    Stu

    Stuart Palmer, Mar 18, 2005
  5. Stuart Palmer

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 20:44:38 GMT, "Stuart Palmer"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi Jeff,
    > I suspect they are related (they seem to give the same results), ideally
    >I'd like to use CDO but they should be using the same process I would have
    >thought, I just know for a fact the cdonts used to work.

    CDO can use a remote SMTP server, CDONTS needs a local one. CDONTS
    also is deprecated.

    > I have run through the instructions at the url you supplied:
    >
    >helo me
    >250 mydesktop Hello [127.0.0.1]
    >mail from:
    >250 2.1.0 ....Sender OK
    >rcpt to:
    >550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for
    >
    >Where mydomain is my sites domainame, and me is my name (a valid email
    >address for my site)
    >
    >I couldn't get any further than the rcpt to: line as it reports it cannot
    >relay (see above)

    Then it's not your code. The SMTP server is not configured to relay
    mail for the sending system. Set your SMTP server to relay for
    127.0.0.1 and you should be golden. See a SMTP group or the docs for
    your operating system fo details.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Mar 19, 2005
  6. http://www.powerasp.com/content/new/sending_email_cdosys.asp