    any experience doing that and would recommend a library, web service,
    web site I can mechanize, or whatever. Any tips appreciated.

    James Edward Gray II

    James Edward Gray II, Jan 7, 2007

  2. James Edward Gray II

    Sean Bryant Guest

    James Edward Gray II wrote:
    > I'm going to need to send SMS messages from a Ruby server I am building
    > currently. I just thought I would ask if anyone here has any experience
    > doing that and would recommend a library, web service, web site I can
    > mechanize, or whatever. Any tips appreciated.
    >
    > James Edward Gray II

    Most Cellphone providers will let you send SMS via email. Check with the
    providers for the email address. I do it all the time.

    Sean Bryant, Jan 7, 2007

  3. On Jan 7, 2007, at 12:15 PM, Sean Bryant wrote:

    > James Edward Gray II wrote:
    >> I'm going to need to send SMS messages from a Ruby server I am
    >> building currently. I just thought I would ask if anyone here has
    >> any experience doing that and would recommend a library, web
    >> service, web site I can mechanize, or whatever. Any tips
    >> appreciated.
    >> James Edward Gray II

    > Most Cellphone providers will let you send SMS via email. Check
    > with the providers for the email address. I do it all the time.

    Thanks for the tip. This did help.

    Looking into this means and Google's simple service:

    http://www.google.com/sendtophone

    it seems I need to know the provider in either case. Is this always
    true?

    James Edward Gray II

    James Edward Gray II, Jan 7, 2007
  4. On Jan 7, 2007, at 12:32 PM, James Edward Gray II wrote:

    > On Jan 7, 2007, at 12:15 PM, Sean Bryant wrote:
    >
    >> James Edward Gray II wrote:
    >>> I'm going to need to send SMS messages from a Ruby server I am
    >>> building currently. I just thought I would ask if anyone here
    >>> has any experience doing that and would recommend a library, web
    >>> service, web site I can mechanize, or whatever. Any tips
    >>> appreciated.
    >>> James Edward Gray II

    >> Most Cellphone providers will let you send SMS via email. Check
    >> with the providers for the email address. I do it all the time.

    > Thanks for the tip. This did help.
    >
    > Looking into this means and Google's simple service:
    >
    > http://www.google.com/sendtophone
    >
    > it seems I need to know the provider in either case. Is this
    > always true?

    This service seems to allow me to do it generically:

    http://www.teleflip.com/

    James Edward Gray II

    James Edward Gray II, Jan 7, 2007
  5. James Edward Gray II

    Jan Svitok Guest

    On 1/7/07, James Edward Gray II <> wrote:
    > I'm going to need to send SMS messages from a Ruby server I am
    > building currently. I just thought I would ask if anyone here has
    > any experience doing that and would recommend a library, web service,
    > web site I can mechanize, or whatever. Any tips appreciated.

    One option is to connect a phone/modem/data card to the server
    directly, and use that to send the messages. Most phones provide a
    serial port to communicate, and sending SMS is a matter of a few AT
    commands (with a few quirks, as usual). It depends on what kind of
    messages you want to send (text only/binary/unicode).

    Advantages:
    - you can send messages to any number your operator is able to send
    - you don't need to rely on some third party gateway
    - might be more flexible (on some modems you can deliberately set the
    sender number even to a text)

    Disadvantages:
    - may be more expensive compared to email gateways (depending on your
    subscription)
    - the need for hardware
    - more work (though a library/tool for the communication may exist, I
    don't know)

    Anyway, I would consider this as a last resort, when there is no
    sufficient email gw available.

    Jan Svitok, Jan 7, 2007
  6. James Edward Gray II

    Martin Boese Guest

    we are using smstools (http://smstools.meinemullemaus.de/) with a serial
    cellphone attached to the server.
    It works very well, a daemon (smsd) is periodically checking on an outbox
    folder (/var/spool/smsd/outbox) and my program is simply writing textfiles
    into it. The format of these files is simply:
    --------
    To: <Phone number>

    Message to send
    --------

    martin

    Martin Boese, Jan 7, 2007
  7. James Edward Gray II

    Dr. D Guest

    Kannel is a pain to configure, but once it's up it will send to urls,
    so you can back end it with your favorite ruby web framework. It will
    communicate over the net via smpp, or over serial/usb/bluetooth/etc
    with a phone you've attached to the computer. Finding a phone that
    supports sms over serial correctly is another matter.

    http://www.kannel.org/

    Kannel is the heavy artillery approach. If you're just trying to let
    yourself know a process crashed, I'd stick to email.

    Dr. D, Jan 8, 2007
  8. James Edward Gray II

    Rob Sanheim Guest

    On 1/7/07, James Edward Gray II <> wrote:
    > On Jan 7, 2007, at 12:32 PM, James Edward Gray II wrote:

    > >> Most Cellphone providers will let you send SMS via email. Check
    > >> with the providers for the email address. I do it all the time.

    > > Thanks for the tip. This did help.
    > >
    > > Looking into this means and Google's simple service:
    > >
    > > http://www.google.com/sendtophone
    > >
    > > it seems I need to know the provider in either case. Is this
    > > always true?

    > This service seems to allow me to do it generically:
    >
    > http://www.teleflip.com/
    >
    > James Edward Gray II

    I've used teleflip before just to send to friend's cell phones from my
    email, when I don't want to figure out what provider they are on. It
    works well enough, though teleflip adds some subject-line type stuff
    that may look strange in the recipients cell phone. They have been
    around awhile so it seems to be a service that is going to stick
    around for awhile...

    - Rob

    Rob Sanheim, Jan 8, 2007
  9. On 2007-01-07 11:56:11 -0800, Martin Boese <> said:

    > we are using smstools (http://smstools.meinemullemaus.de/) with a
    > serial cellphone attached to the server.

    Just to add to this, you are at the complete mercy of the destination
    provider if you use their email gateway. For a while I did this w/
    nagios, but the latency between send and arrival on my provider was so
    high that I was just wasting money (on several levels).

    All the ISPs that I know of use the quoted solution (or something very
    similar), and if time is critical (which it generally is with these
    sorts of things), you may want to seriously explore that option.

    -Erik

    Erik Hollensbe, Jan 10, 2007