SendUsing configuration is invalid.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by dancer, Jun 11, 2007.

  1. dancer

    dancer Guest

    Using ASP.Net and Framework 1.1.4322
    File works fine on my computer. On my host server, I get this message.
    The "SendUsing" configuration value is invalid.

    Exception Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: The
    "SendUsing" configuration value is invalid.

    Source Error:

    Line 134: ' SMTP server's name or ip address!
    Line 135: myMail.SmtpServer = ""
    Line 136: myMail.Send(myMessage)
    Line 137:
    Line 138: frmEmail.Visible = False

    These are some declared variables:
    Dim myMessage As New MailMessage

    Dim myMail As SmtpMail

    Dim UserMessage As String

    dancer, Jun 11, 2007

  2. dancer

    sloan Guest

    There is downloadable code here:
    http://sholliday.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!A68482B9628A842A!138.entry

    to help you.

    sloan, Jun 11, 2007

  3. On Jun 11, 8:48 pm, "dancer" <> wrote:
    > Using ASP.Net and Framework 1.1.4322
    > File works fine on my computer. On my host server, I get this message.
    > The "SendUsing" configuration value is invalid.
    >
    > Exception Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: The
    > "SendUsing" configuration value is invalid.
    >
    > Source Error:
    >
    > Line 134: ' SMTP server's name or ip address!
    > Line 135: myMail.SmtpServer = ""
    > Line 136: myMail.Send(myMessage)
    > Line 137:
    > Line 138: frmEmail.Visible = False
    >
    > These are some declared variables:
    > Dim myMessage As New MailMessage
    >
    > Dim myMail As SmtpMail
    >
    > Dim UserMessage As String

    Check the support documentation that hosting service provides, or
    contact a servicedesk. The error means that it requires you to specify
    the SMTP Server. Usually it is an IP address of the mail server.

    You can also try to use localhost, maybe it will work if SMTP service
    is enabled on the same server where your site is located.

    myMail.SmtpServer = "localhost"

    Alexey Smirnov, Jun 11, 2007
  4. dancer

    dancer Guest

    I got the smtp server address from my host. I made the change, then I
    received this message:
    The server rejected one or more recipient addresses. The server response
    was: 550 <> is not a valid mailbox
    I have x'd out my address for security.
    We host our own e-mail addresses inside the company - not on our hosting
    server. But since it says *recipient* address I don't understand why it
    says "not a valid mailbox"

    Here is my code:
    myMessage.From = "ssssss.ssssssst@ssssssss..com"

    ' myMessage.To = strEmail

    MyMessage.To = "sssssss.ssssssst@ssssssss..com"

    myMessage.Subject = "Accident Form (HTML)"

    The from and to emails are the same.

    Can you help me?

    dancer, Jun 13, 2007
  5. dancer

    dancer Guest

    It is the TO address that is the problem, for I changed that one, and the
    error message pointed it out. Now why would the TO address be a problem?
    That should not have anything to do with a mail box on the host server,
    should it?

    dancer, Jun 13, 2007
  6. On Jun 13, 5:53 pm, "dancer" <> wrote:
    > I got the smtp server address from my host. I made the change, then I
    > received this message:
    > The server rejected one or more recipient addresses. The server response
    > was: 550 <> is not a valid mailbox
    > I have x'd out my address for security.

    "sssssss.ssssssst@ssssssss..com"

    two dots at the end?

    Alexey Smirnov, Jun 13, 2007
  7. dancer

    dancer Guest

    No - I made that error when I changed the real address to x's and s's on
    this message

    dancer, Jun 13, 2007
  8. On Jun 13, 10:40 pm, "dancer" <> wrote:
    > No - I made that error when I changed the real address to x's and s's on
    > this message

    It seems that you have no rights to send an email. Either you have to
    authenticate using a username and a password, or you need to have the
    persmissions to relay through the server.

    http://www.systemnetmail.com/faq/1.4.aspx

    Alexey Smirnov, Jun 13, 2007
  9. dancer

    dancer Guest

    On our website there are pages (maintained in Front Page) that communicate
    with us through e-mail.
    (No reference is made of SMTP on these pages.)

    Why would we have permissions to relay through the server on those pages,
    but not when I'm using Asp.net?

    Thanks

    dancer, Jun 14, 2007
  10. On Jun 14, 7:46 pm, "dancer" <> wrote:
    > On our website there are pages (maintained in Front Page) that communicate
    > with us through e-mail.
    > (No reference is made of SMTP on these pages.)

    Does it mean you have a link, a sort of <a
    href=mailto:>Send me an email</> which is not required a
    SMTP?

    Alexey Smirnov, Jun 14, 2007
  11. dancer

    dancer Guest

    Maybe so ..... Here is the code: If so, why isn't SMTP required? And why
    can't I get by without SMTP on an ASP.net application?

    <form method="POST" name="Contact Request" action="--WEBBOT-SELF--"
    onSubmit="location.href='_derived/nortbots.htm';return false;"
    webbot-onSubmit>
    <!--webbot bot="SaveResults" u-file="_private/contact_req.txt"
    s-format="TEXT/PRE" s-label-fields="TRUE" b-reverse-chronology="FALSE"
    s-email-format="TEXT/PRE" s-email-address=""
    b-email-label-fields="TRUE" b-email-replyto-from-field="TRUE"
    s-email-replyto="Email" b-email-subject-from-field="FALSE"
    s-email-subject="Contact Request" s-date-format="%m/%d/%Y"
    s-time-format="%I:%M %p" s-builtin-fields="Date Time" s-form-fields="Reason
    Source Other FirstName LastName Address1 Address2 City State Zip Phone Fax
    Email Comments " startspan --><input TYPE="hidden" NAME="VTI-GROUP"
    VALUE="0"><!--webbot bot="SaveResults" endspan i-checksum="43374" -->
    Wheeler's representative contact me
    regarding:</B></FONT> </p>

    dancer, Jun 14, 2007