    handler or should I create actual folders with a logic to grab correct
    item? Please explain and advice.
    Thanks.

    VUNETdotUS, Dec 3, 2007

  2. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed VUNETdotUS <>
    writing in news:7f5e8408-6d75-4139-92e4-add11db00e35
    @s36g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

    > I have web pages in this format:
    > mysite.com/item/?id=1
    > mysite.com/item/?id=2
    > mysite.com/item/?id=3 etc.
    >
    > I want to create SEO friendly page names without parameters like:
    > mysite.com/item/some-description-for-item-1
    > mysite.com/item/some-description-for-item-2
    > mysite.com/item/some-description-for-item-3
    >
    > ...which will point to the same URLs as above. What is the best
    > practice to implement it on IIS Windows Server? Is it error page
    > handler or should I create actual folders with a logic to grab correct
    > item? Please explain and advice.
    > Thanks.

    I have found that querystrings don't bother Google very much, with the
    possible exception of id=, and only then because the bot might think it
    could be going into and endless loop. Therefore, I usually use
    something else. I have seen many results in Google with querystrings.

    One thing you can do, however, to be nice to the bots, is include
    rel="nofollow" in links that the bot really doesn't need to index. For
    example: example.com/pagename.asp?style=rose, where the links are only
    going to different stylesheets on the same page. I also use
    rel="nofollow" if I am linking to a large external site, like Yahoo, or
    a site that might not be linking to me. That way I am not leaking links
    and damaging page rank.

    As for long URLs, more and more people are using browsers that
    automatically take a long URL to tinyurl.com (Firefox and Opera both
    have extensions that do that) or they are aware of the site.

    I would say the most important thing for SEs is clean, semantic markup -
    no presentational markup, no abuse of tables, CSS and javascript in
    external files, etc.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Dec 3, 2007

  3. VUNETdotUS

    Dooza Guest

    VUNETdotUS wrote:
    > I have web pages in this format:
    > mysite.com/item/?id=1
    > mysite.com/item/?id=2
    > mysite.com/item/?id=3 etc.
    >
    > I want to create SEO friendly page names without parameters like:
    > mysite.com/item/some-description-for-item-1
    > mysite.com/item/some-description-for-item-2
    > mysite.com/item/some-description-for-item-3
    >
    > ...which will point to the same URLs as above. What is the best
    > practice to implement it on IIS Windows Server? Is it error page
    > handler or should I create actual folders with a logic to grab correct
    > item? Please explain and advice.
    > Thanks.

    Try something like this maybe: http://www.isapirewrite.com/

    Steve

    Dooza, Dec 3, 2007
  4. VUNETdotUS

    VUNETdotUS Guest

    On Dec 3, 8:19 am, Dooza <> wrote:
    > VUNETdotUS wrote:
    > > I have web pages in this format:
    > > mysite.com/item/?id=1
    > > mysite.com/item/?id=2
    > > mysite.com/item/?id=3 etc.

    > > I want to create SEO friendly page names without parameters like:
    > > mysite.com/item/some-description-for-item-1
    > > mysite.com/item/some-description-for-item-2
    > > mysite.com/item/some-description-for-item-3

    > > ...which will point to the same URLs as above. What is the best
    > > practice to implement it on IIS Windows Server? Is it error page
    > > handler or should I create actual folders with a logic to grab correct
    > > item? Please explain and advice.
    > > Thanks.

    > Try something like this maybe:http://www.isapirewrite.com/
    >
    > Steve

    Why should I buy some product when it can be done for free in many
    ways?

    VUNETdotUS, Dec 3, 2007
  5. VUNETdotUS

    VUNETdotUS Guest

    On Dec 2, 9:49 pm, Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed VUNETdotUS <>
    > writing in news:7f5e8408-6d75-4139-92e4-add11db00e35
    > @s36g2000prg.googlegroups.com:
    >

    > > I have web pages in this format:
    > > mysite.com/item/?id=1
    > > mysite.com/item/?id=2
    > > mysite.com/item/?id=3 etc.

    > > I want to create SEO friendly page names without parameters like:
    > > mysite.com/item/some-description-for-item-1
    > > mysite.com/item/some-description-for-item-2
    > > mysite.com/item/some-description-for-item-3

    > > ...which will point to the same URLs as above. What is the best
    > > practice to implement it on IIS Windows Server? Is it error page
    > > handler or should I create actual folders with a logic to grab correct
    > > item? Please explain and advice.
    > > Thanks.

    > I have found that querystrings don't bother Google very much, with the
    > possible exception of id=, and only then because the bot might think it
    > could be going into and endless loop. Therefore, I usually use
    > something else. I have seen many results in Google with querystrings.
    >
    > One thing you can do, however, to be nice to the bots, is include
    > rel="nofollow" in links that the bot really doesn't need to index. For
    > example: example.com/pagename.asp?style=rose, where the links are only
    > going to different stylesheets on the same page. I also use
    > rel="nofollow" if I am linking to a large external site, like Yahoo, or
    > a site that might not be linking to me. That way I am not leaking links
    > and damaging page rank.
    >
    > As for long URLs, more and more people are using browsers that
    > automatically take a long URL to tinyurl.com (Firefox and Opera both
    > have extensions that do that) or they are aware of the site.
    >
    > I would say the most important thing for SEs is clean, semantic markup -
    > no presentational markup, no abuse of tables, CSS and javascript in
    > external files, etc.
    >
    > --
    > Adrienne Boswell at Home
    > Arbpen Web Site Design Serviceshttp://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

    Thanks. Google does index my "id=" pages. However, I think I can
    improve pages with custom folder names stuffed with keywords.
    And... If I have outbound link, will it really hurt my site?

    VUNETdotUS, Dec 3, 2007
  6. VUNETdotUS wrote on Mon, 3 Dec 2007 07:39:15 -0800 (PST):

    > On Dec 3, 8:19 am, Dooza <> wrote:
    >> VUNETdotUS wrote:
    >>> I have web pages in this format:
    >>> mysite.com/item/?id=1 mysite.com/item/?id=2 mysite.com/item/?id=3
    >>> etc.

    >>> I want to create SEO friendly page names without parameters like:
    >>> mysite.com/item/some-description-for-item-1
    >>> mysite.com/item/some-description-for-item-2
    >>> mysite.com/item/some-description-for-item-3

    >>> ...which will point to the same URLs as above. What is the best
    >>> practice to implement it on IIS Windows Server? Is it error page
    >>> handler or should I create actual folders with a logic to grab
    >>> correct item? Please explain and advice.
    >>> Thanks.

    >> Try something like this maybe:http://www.isapirewrite.com/

    >> Steve

    > Why should I buy some product when it can be done for free in many ways?

    That ISAPI Rewrite works very well, and saved me a lot of time - why
    shouldn't the developer be rewarded for the time and effort he has put into
    developing this? And if you look carefully, you'll see that there is a free
    "lite" version. I bought the full version because I needed per-virtual site
    handling for the multiple sites running on my servers.

    If you can find a free solution, then use it. Have you got an examples of a
    free way of doing this with IIS (other than creating individual redirections
    manually)? I certainly didn't find any when I researched it some time ago
    (other than the lite version of ISAPI Rewrite).

    --
    Dan

    Daniel Crichton, Dec 3, 2007
  7. VUNETdotUS

    Dooza Guest

    VUNETdotUS wrote:
    >> Try something like this maybe:http://www.isapirewrite.com/
    >>
    >> Steve

    > Why should I buy some product when it can be done for free in many
    > ways?

    There is a free version, it may do just the job with very little effort
    on your part. Just offering an answer to your question.

    Steve

    Dooza, Dec 3, 2007
  8. VUNETdotUS

    VUNETdotUS Guest

    On Dec 3, 12:55 pm, Dooza <> wrote:
    > VUNETdotUS wrote:
    > >> Try something like this maybe:http://www.isapirewrite.com/

    > >> Steve

    > > Why should I buy some product when it can be done for free in many
    > > ways?

    > There is a free version, it may do just the job with very little effort
    > on your part. Just offering an answer to your question.
    >
    > Steve

    Oh, thanks. What if I host with 3-party hosting facilities? Does the
    software require direct access to the server?
    And still I would like to hear about no 3 party software alternatives.
    Has anyone implemented?
    I thought error 404 page can be configured to deal with content
    display or I can create my custom folder with index.asp file to get
    the correct page content via XMLHTTP request and show it, like:

    .../item/some-description-for-item-1/index.asp ===> MS XML HTTP ===> ../
    item/?id=1

    VUNETdotUS, Dec 3, 2007
  9. VUNETdotUS

    Mike Brind Guest

    "VUNETdotUS" <> wrote in message

    >> > Why should I buy some product when it can be done for free in many
    >> > ways?

    >> There is a free version, it may do just the job with very little effort
    >> on your part. Just offering an answer to your question.
    >>
    >> Steve

    > Oh, thanks. What if I host with 3-party hosting facilities? Does the
    > software require direct access to the server?
    > And still I would like to hear about no 3 party software alternatives.

    Migrate to ASP.NET. With that, URL rewriting is a relatively simple
    process, with zillions of don't-have-to-pay-a-penny free, gratis tutorials
    and code samples all over the place.

    --
    Mike Brind

    Mike Brind, Dec 3, 2007
  10. VUNETdotUS

    VUNETdotUS Guest

    On Dec 3, 3:45 pm, "Mike Brind" <> wrote:
    > "VUNETdotUS" <> wrote in message

    > >> There is a free version, it may do just the job with very little effort
    > >> on your part. Just offering an answer to your question.

    > >> Steve

    > > Oh, thanks. What if I host with 3-party hosting facilities? Does the
    > > software require direct access to the server?
    > > And still I would like to hear about no 3 party software alternatives.

    > Migrate to ASP.NET. With that, URL rewriting is a relatively simple
    > process, with zillions of don't-have-to-pay-a-penny free, gratis tutorials
    > and code samples all over the place.
    >
    > --
    > Mike Brind

    Can it be done with third party hosting? I do not access to IIS. Also,
    I noticed a lot of C++ examples, can it be VB instead?
    Thanks

    VUNETdotUS, Dec 3, 2007
  11. VUNETdotUS

    > On Dec 3, 3:45 pm, "Mike Brind" <> wrote:
    >> "VUNETdotUS" <> wrote in message

    >> > Oh, thanks. What if I host with 3-party hosting facilities? Does the
    >> > software require direct access to the server?
    >> > And still I would like to hear about no 3 party software alternatives.

    >> Migrate to ASP.NET. With that, URL rewriting is a relatively simple
    >> process, with zillions of don't-have-to-pay-a-penny free, gratis
    >> tutorials
    >> and code samples all over the place.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Brind

    > Can it be done with third party hosting? I do not access to IIS. Also,
    > I noticed a lot of C++ examples, can it be VB instead?
    > Thanks

    It can be done in any .Net compliant language. And if the hosting compnay
    offers ASP.NET support, it can be done without installing any extras. It's
    done purely through making use of parts of the .Net base class library. Try
    Googling url rewriting asp net vb. Also, go to www.asp.net and have a look
    at the introductory tutorials and videos to get more of an understanding of
    ASP.NET.

    --
    Mike Brind

    Mike Brind, Dec 4, 2007
  12. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed VUNETdotUS <>
    writing in news:f114d103-1a26-40d6-8a9e-03e245095401
    @s12g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

    @gmail.com>
    >> writing in news:7f5e8408-6d75-4139-92e4-add11db00e35
    >> @s36g2000prg.googlegroups.com:
    >>

    >> > I have web pages in this format:
    >> > mysite.com/item/?id=1
    >> > mysite.com/item/?id=2
    >> > mysite.com/item/?id=3 etc.

    >> > I want to create SEO friendly page names without parameters like:
    >> > mysite.com/item/some-description-for-item-1
    >> > mysite.com/item/some-description-for-item-2
    >> > mysite.com/item/some-description-for-item-3

    >> > ...which will point to the same URLs as above. What is the best
    >> > practice to implement it on IIS Windows Server? Is it error page
    >> > handler or should I create actual folders with a logic to grab

    correct
    >> > item? Please explain and advice.
    >> > Thanks.

    >> I have found that querystrings don't bother Google very much, with

    the
    >> possible exception of id=, and only then because the bot might think

    it
    >> could be going into and endless loop. Therefore, I usually use
    >> something else. I have seen many results in Google with

    querystrings.

    >> One thing you can do, however, to be nice to the bots, is include
    >> rel="nofollow" in links that the bot really doesn't need to index.

    For
    >> example: example.com/pagename.asp?style=rose, where the links are

    only
    >> going to different stylesheets on the same page. I also use
    >> rel="nofollow" if I am linking to a large external site, like Yahoo,

    or
    >> a site that might not be linking to me. That way I am not leaking

    links
    >> and damaging page rank.
    >>
    >> As for long URLs, more and more people are using browsers that
    >> automatically take a long URL to tinyurl.com (Firefox and Opera both
    >> have extensions that do that) or they are aware of the site.
    >>
    >> I would say the most important thing for SEs is clean, semantic

    markup -
    >> no presentational markup, no abuse of tables, CSS and javascript in
    >> external files, etc.
    >>

    > Thanks. Google does index my "id=" pages. However, I think I can
    > improve pages with custom folder names stuffed with keywords.
    > And... If I have outbound link, will it really hurt my site?

    Google and stuffing do not mix, as a matter of fact you could easily be
    penalized. If you have relavent outbound links, it should not be a
    problem. You want to avoid, however, anything that looks like it might
    be a link farm.

    Again, the best thing to do is to use clean, semantic markup and leave
    the presentation to CSS. Don't use tables for layout, but don't get
    divitis either. Use the right tool for the job, use heading markup
    where appropriate, list markup for lists, etc.

    Adrienne Boswell, Dec 4, 2007