Serialization in Java Web Start

Mike Oder

I'm currently in the process of converting a Java application to Java
Web Start. However, I have a problem loading some essential files.
The files were created from a seperate initialization app, and they
are simply the serialization of a couple key classes in the
application. I cannot seem to get the application to locate these
files. It looks for them on the client machine, and throws an
exception when they cannot be located. I tried putting the files in
the main JAR file, but the application still is not finding them.
Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can load these classes? Any
help would be greatly appreciated, as I am almost entirely out of
ideas.

-Mike

Bent C Dalager

I'm currently in the process of converting a Java application to Java
Web Start. However, I have a problem loading some essential files.
The files were created from a seperate initialization app, and they
are simply the serialization of a couple key classes in the
application. I cannot seem to get the application to locate these
files. It looks for them on the client machine, and throws an
exception when they cannot be located. I tried putting the files in
the main JAR file, but the application still is not finding them.
Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can load these classes? Any
help would be greatly appreciated, as I am almost entirely out of
ideas.

If they're inside your JAR file you should using something along the
lines of
this.getClass().getClassLoader().getResource("path/of/file/then/filename.ext");
to load them.

Don't expect the details to be correct, it's off the top of my head :)

The "developer" section of sun's Java Web Start pages explains a
number of JWS stuff with examples, so I'd look there if I were you.

Cheers
Bent D