serializing a class & performance -- advice?

Jason Shohet

We are thinking of serializing an object & passing it toseveral functions on
web service.
This will happen about 35 times as the page loads. The class has about 20
attributes.

We're not sure on the impact serializing something has on an asp.net page
rendering, compared to say, hitting the db or something like that.
THanks

Jason Shohet

S. Justin Gengo

Jason,

I've found .Net to be very efficient. I have some routines that do a lot
more than what you're talking about and everything is running perfectly.

Of course, it all depends on the hardware also. We are running a web farm
and each box has dual itanium processors and a gig of memory so the best
advice I can give you is test it out and see.

Do you know about the "Microsoft Application Center Test" program that .Net
comes with. It's a great application that lets you hit the web server with
any number of user requests you want in order to test responsiveness.

You'll find it at: Start - All Programs - Microsoft Visual Studio.Net 2003
(or 2002 has it also) - Visual Studio.Net Enterprise Features - Microsoft
Application Center Test

Good luck testing!

--
S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer

Free code library at:
www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzche

Jason Shohet

Thank you Justin. We're going to serialize... it just makes maintenance
much easier to maintain, passing around an object instead of dozens of
parameters flying all over the place :)
Even though the object will be passed a few dozen times from the
codebehind page to various webservice functions, we're going to try it.

The 'Application Center Test', I tried that, but it told me that perhaps
there weren't sufficient permissions on the server. Any idea what is req'd.
If not i'll ask on the ng for that product.

Thanks
Jason Shohet

S. Justin Gengo

Sorry, but I haven't run into a permissions problem myself, but our
development server (a mimic of production but behind our firewall) is pretty
open.

Sincerely,

--
S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer

Free code library at:
www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzche

bruce barker

while serializing 35 times a page request will be ok, 35 web service calls a
page will be a real performance bottleneck. web services shoot for about
100-200 hits/sec, so your main site would max out at about 4-8 hits/sec.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)