    rendering, compared to say, hitting the db or something like that.
    THanks

    Jason Shohet

    Jason Shohet, Jul 29, 2003

  2. Jason,

    I've found .Net to be very efficient. I have some routines that do a lot
    more than what you're talking about and everything is running perfectly.

    Of course, it all depends on the hardware also. We are running a web farm
    and each box has dual itanium processors and a gig of memory so the best
    advice I can give you is test it out and see.

    Do you know about the "Microsoft Application Center Test" program that .Net
    comes with. It's a great application that lets you hit the web server with
    any number of user requests you want in order to test responsiveness.

    You'll find it at: Start - All Programs - Microsoft Visual Studio.Net 2003
    (or 2002 has it also) - Visual Studio.Net Enterprise Features - Microsoft
    Application Center Test

    Good luck testing!

    --
    S. Justin Gengo, MCP
    Web Developer

    Free code library at:
    www.aboutfortunate.com

    "Out of chaos comes order."
    Nietzche
    " Jason Shohet" <> wrote in message
    > We are thinking of serializing an object & passing it toseveral functions

    on
    > web service.
    > This will happen about 35 times as the page loads. The class has about

    20

    S. Justin Gengo, Jul 29, 2003

  3. Jason Shohet

    Jason Shohet Guest

    Thank you Justin. We're going to serialize... it just makes maintenance
    much easier to maintain, passing around an object instead of dozens of
    parameters flying all over the place :)
    Even though the object will be passed a few dozen times from the
    codebehind page to various webservice functions, we're going to try it.

    The 'Application Center Test', I tried that, but it told me that perhaps
    there weren't sufficient permissions on the server. Any idea what is req'd.
    If not i'll ask on the ng for that product.

    Thanks
    Jason Shohet

    Jason Shohet, Jul 29, 2003
  4. Sorry, but I haven't run into a permissions problem myself, but our
    development server (a mimic of production but behind our firewall) is pretty
    open.

    Sincerely,

    S. Justin Gengo, Jul 29, 2003
  5. Jason Shohet

    bruce barker Guest

    while serializing 35 times a page request will be ok, 35 web service calls a
    page will be a real performance bottleneck. web services shoot for about
    100-200 hits/sec, so your main site would max out at about 4-8 hits/sec.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Jul 29, 2003