Server Application Unavailable

William Tasso

Greetings One and All

WRT: The inscrutable behaviour of dotnet.

Server: WS3/IIS-6
DotNet: Framework 1.1

Application is a http handler for jpg files.

Added extention:
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_isapi.dll to handle
..jpg files.

web.config (in the site root) contains this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<configuration>
<system.web>
<httpHandlers>
<add verb="*" path="*.jpg" type="JpgHandler, Jpg.dll" />
</httpHandlers>
</system.web>
</configuration>

I have a .cs file which has been successfully compiled to a dll and copied
to the /bin directory in the web root.

Keying the URL of an image into the browser address bar returns...

<quote>
Server Application Unavailable

The web application you are attempting to access on this
web server is currently unavailable. Please hit the
"Refresh" button in your web browser to retry your request.

Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause
of this specific request failure can be found in the
application event log of the web server. Please review
this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur.
</quote>

Observations ...

o There is no such error in the application event log (or the security or
system event logs)
o IIS logs a 500 error in the site log
o Filemon records access (OPEN) to web.config but no access for Jpg.dll

I'm afraid that if google or the MSKB contain the solution to my problem
then I have failed to understand what I'm seeing.

All/any clues appreciated.

Thank you for reading.

William Tasso

William Tasso said:
WRT: The inscrutable behaviour of dotnet.

becomes clearer with familiarity
o Filemon records access (OPEN) to web.config but no access for Jpg.dll

and making the reporting window wider reveals that the access was failing
- for some reason web.config was not inheriting permissions from the
parent.

oh well.