server control simple bindable property

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Building Controls' started by MrB, Dec 23, 2003.

  1. MrB

    MrB Guest

    I've made a server control that overrides the dropdownlist control. It has
    one new property (ddlLocation) that needs to be databound. All is working
    well if I type the databound information into the asp.net html view. see
    example below.

    <jb:jbddl id=jbddl_court_id runat="server" Width="152px"
    DataValueField="court_id" DataTextField="court" svrReadOnly="False"
    DataSource='<%# objCase.getCourts() %>' ddlLocation='<%# objCase("Location")
    %>'> </jb:jbddl>

    However I would like the user to be able to type the databinding information
    (objCase("Location")) for the ddlLocation property into the visual studio
    property window - the way the datasource property works. when i do that
    though, the control does not resolve the objCase("Location") to a number, it
    just receives the string 'objCase("Location")'.

    Here is the relevant server control code.

    <Category("Data"), Bindable(True)> Public Property ddlLocation() as String

    Get
    Return strddlLocation
    End Get

    Set(ByVal Value As String)
    strddlLocation = Value
    End Set

    End Property

    What do i need to do to make the ddlLocation property act the way the
    datasource property does in the vs property window?

    Thanks in advance,

    Jim

    MrB, Dec 23, 2003