Server Error in '/' Application.

Martin Robins

I have never dabbled with ASP.NET until now so be warned!

I have created a web application with the single default form: WebForm1.aspx
and when I try to display it I get this error. My understanding was that
ASP.NET was supposed to set itself up, especially as I am using Windows
Server 2003.

Can anybody give me instruction as to resolution; what folder should I be
granting the access to? The path shown only exists as far as the "\Temporary
ASP.NET Files" folder. Should I remove and re-install anything on the
server? In general; help!!

Thanks.

FYI: VS2003 on XP -> Win2k3
Server Error in '/' Application.
----

Access to the path "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary
ASP.NET Files\root\8073f566\7100ac34" is denied.

Exception Details: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path
"C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET
Files\root\8073f566\7100ac34" is denied.

granting access rights to the resource to the ASP.NET request identity.
ASP.NET has a base process identity (typically {MACHINE}\ASPNET on IIS 5 or
Network Service on IIS 6) that is used if the application is not
impersonating. If the application is impersonating via <identity
impersonate="true"/>, the identity will be the anonymous user (typically
IUSR_MACHINENAME) or the authenticated request user.

To grant ASP.NET write access to a file, right-click the file in Explorer,
choose "Properties" and select the Security tab. Click "Add" to add the
appropriate user or group. Highlight the ASP.NET account, and check the
boxes for the desired access.

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path
"C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET
Files\root\8073f566\7100ac34" is denied.]
System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String str) +393
System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectory(String fullPath, String path)
+632
System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory(String path) +195
System.Web.Compilation.PreservedAssemblyEntry.DoFirstTimeInit(HttpContext
context) +85

System.Web.Compilation.PreservedAssemblyEntry.EnsureFirstTimeInit(HttpContex
t context) +97

System.Web.Compilation.PreservedAssemblyEntry.GetPreservedAssemblyEntry(Http
Context context, String virtualPath, Boolean fApplicationFile) +29
System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.GetParserCacheItemFromPreservedCompilation()
+91
System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.GetParserCacheItemInternal(Boolean
fCreateIfNotFound) +148
System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.GetParserCacheItemWithNewConfigPath() +125
System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.GetParserCacheItem() +88
System.Web.UI.ApplicationFileParser.GetCompiledApplicationType(String
inputFile, HttpContext context, ApplicationFileParser& parser) +168
System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.CompileApplication(HttpContext context)
+43
System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.Init(HttpContext context) +485
System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetApplicationInstance(HttpContext
context) +170
System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr) +414

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi Martin,

Here are instructions if you are just running on a development site and want
to get going quickly:

http://authors.aspalliance.com/kenc/faq2.aspx

For a more secure method, here's a previous answer from an MS Support
person. It might give you some guidance:

"My suggestion would be to Create a weak account that has the correct
permissions, and then
configure the <processModel> section of the Machine.config file to use
that account.
Here are some simple steps you can follow to grant NTFS permissions.
Keep in mind that if you are running the 1.0 framework you will need to
replace v1.1.4322 with v1.0.3705
1. Create the domain user and grant it "Log on as a Service", "Log on as a
Batch Job", "Deny Logon Locally", “Access this Computer from the Network”
2. Add domain user to the local Users Group
3. Grant domain user read access to C:\Winnt\microsoft.net
4. Grant domain user Full Control to C:\WINNT\TEMP
5. Grant domain user Full Control to
C:\winnt\Microsoft.Net\framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary Asp.Net files
6. Grant domain user Read access
toC:\WINNT\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v1.1.4322
7. Ensure domain user has Read access
toC:\Winnt\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v1.1.4322\config
8. Ensure domain user has Read access to C:\Winnt\Assembly
Note: You should use the following command to add permissions to this
folder because it is a special folder and does not have a security tab
cacls c:\winnt\assembly /e /t /p domain\useraccount:R

9. Modify the
c:\winnt\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322\config\machine.config under
<processModel> change these lines to read
Username="domain\user"
Password="password"
10. Restart IIS for the machine.config changes to take effect
You can use the following command to enforce the policy changes without a
reboot:
SECEDIT /REFRESHPOLICY MACHINE_POLICY /ENFORCE

Martin Robins said:
[...]

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.573;
ASP.NET
Version:1.1.4322.573

Martin Robins

Ken,

Thanks for the quick response. However, I am a little concerned regarding the following paragraph taken from the machine.config file whilst looking to make the changes suggested:
When ASP.NET is running under IIS 6 in native mode, the IIS 6 process model is
used and settings in this section are ignored. Please use the IIS administrative
UI to configure things like process identity and cycling for the IIS
worker process for the desired application

As I am using Windows Server 2003, this will apply to me as it has IIS6. Can you offer any further advice?

Martin.

Martin Robins said:
[...]

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

The issue here is that IIS 6 has some new features that override the
machine.config. They are features that were not available in IIS 5 or 5.1
(XP). If you are using IIS 6, you should use the IIS MMC plug in to manage
the sections you were looking at, rather than use machine.config.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!

Martin Robins said:
[...]

I do not know if this is correct, but I seem to have been able to resolve the problem by adding 'Full Control' rights to the '...\Temporary ASP.NET Files' folder for the IWAM_MACHINENAME user.

I am still open to any further advice; an additional piece of information I forgot to mention is that the server in use is actually a domain controller as well!

Cheers.

Martin Robins said:
[...]

I started with this snap-in; but could not find anything relavent.

Do you have any pointers?

Martin Robins said:
[...]

System.Web.Compilation.PreservedAssemblyEntry.EnsureFirstTimeInit(HttpContexSystem.Web.Compilation.PreservedAssemblyEntry.GetPreservedAssemblyEntry(Http