    four year mark even though the performance is still fair/good? System
    availability per our SLA is critical.

    Thanks!

    JM, Jul 20, 2004

  2. JM

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

    Alot depends on how "high-end" you went when you bought it but 4 years seems
    to be common, 3 is as well in a company where they can afford it. Many times
    you will still find even older equip but they tend to get cycled down to
    dev, test and staging servers, oh, and as web servers. You'd be amazed that
    even an older machine will make a decent low-volume web server :}

    --
    Curt Christianson
    Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software

    "JM" <> wrote in message
    > We are using 4+ year-old Dell PE2450's with dual 1.0Ghz processors / 1GB

    RAM
    > / RAID5 for our dev, qa, and prod web servers for a financial application

    (3
    > identical servers).
    >
    > They all run fine, there are no reliability problems, and performance is
    > fair/good. The initial warranty expired at the two year mark (24/7, 4

    hour
    > response), and we keep renewing 1 yr contracts.
    >
    > My question is: Is there a universally acceptable life expectancy for

    this
    > grade of server? For example, should we just plan to replace servers at

    the

    Curt_C [MVP], Jul 20, 2004