Web Server Performance

Sachin Salgarkar

We have a Win 2003 Server that runs around 15 instances of an ASP.NET 1.1
Web Application ( in the same application Pool).
Each instance connects to a SQL 2K database on a separate database server.
The database size is around 100 MB (min ) to 3 GB Max.
The web server is a 2.6 GHZ Xeon with 2 GB of RAM.
The database server is a dual proc Xeon with 4 GB of Ram.
Each instance of the Web Application has an average of 15 users.

We reboot the servers every weekend.
I have set the Worker Process to recycle at 4 AM everyday.

The problem is that our clients often receive Out Of Memory exceptions.
Task
Manager doesn't show any abnormal activity.
The Memory Utilization on the web server seems to be around 500 MB .. which
should be fine for a 2 GB RAM system that is used solely as a web server.
My questions:
1 Are we overloading the server. ?
2 What tweaks or configuration changes can we do to improve performance.

Thanks,
Sachin Salgarkar

Mark Fitzpatrick

Sachin,
Sometimes it can be something as simple as changing the
connectionstring to the database slightly to improve pooling, or ensuring
that the garbage collection is happening correctly. Even though .Net is
managed, garbage collection should still be written to handle the closing of
datareaders/connections and disposing of them properly. That helps free up
their resources quickier.

MS released a great book in their patterns and practices called Improving
..Net Application Performance and Scalability. You don't have to buy it
though as they also made a downloadable PDF version at:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnpag/html/scalenet.asp
This has a good number of well-organized do's and dont's that would let you
dig through and check to see if there is something going on in your code
that could be altered or some setting that could be tweaked to avoid your
issues.

Sachin Salgarkar

Thanks Mark.

-Sachin