Server Push Technology

Ben Kim

Hello all,

We are interested in having a server push data down to the client on a
periodic basis (IE data change). This data would need to be pushed into a
grid control. We do not want to "update" the page or refresh every n
seconds.

After reviewing 'Server Push Techology' it appears Microsoft abandoned the
technology with IE 4. I may be wrong. If they didn't abandon it did they
replace it with a comparable solution?

After research it does appear it can be done via ActiveX or Java applets.
Does anyone have sample code, website links or reference material that would
point us in the right direction?

Thank you,

Ben Kim
Emergitech

Mark Fitzpatrick

Ben,
It might be simpler to just use a meta refresh tag to automatically
refresh the page. Push technology in general died out about the time of IE
4, not long after it was introduced. Basically, a lot of companies touted
it, but it really didn't solve any problems and tended to waste a lot of
bandwidth, especially for cost-concious corporate networks.

Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage