Session cookies, deep mystery. Sherlock Holmes, please Help!

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Nicolae Fieraru, Apr 18, 2005.

  1. Hi All,

    I have a lot of problems with the web site www.ggsurf.com.au I host on
    www.gnxonline.com and I want to find out if it is my own problem or theirs.
    I try to use session cookies and it doesn't work fine. Eventually I created
    some test scripts, which can be found in here:

    www.ggsurf.com.au/info.asp

    There is a link to Set the Session("TransactionID") = 25 and the page
    set.asp redirects the browser to info.asp after setting the session cookie

    The Session("TransactionID") shows as NULL. If you click on the refresh
    button in Internet Explorer or click on the link called info, you will see
    that the Session("TransactionID") alternates between value 25 and NULL. How
    can this be possible? Is it a problem in my scripts or the web server does
    something weird?

    I am unable to reproduce the problem everytime I try. But if I play for
    maybe two minutes with the scripts (clicking on the links to set cookie,
    clear cookie, default), eventually I click on Set Session and the value of
    the cookie shows as NULL. In that moment, clicking on info will show
    alternate values for the Session Cookies.
    For your convenience, I created a link to the top logo in default.asp which
    brings you back to info.asp

    Any idea about this problem would be appreciated. I had many discussions
    with the administrators from www.gnxonline.com and they say it is an error
    on my side, but they've been unable to provide me any hints or some sample
    scripts (I tried using Session.Timeout without solving the problem). And I
    don't think it is my problem, as the same script work on three other web
    servers.

    The only relevant commands I use in the script are:

    Session("TransactionID") = 25

    and

    response.write "Session(""TransactionID"") = " & Session("TransactionID") &
    "<br>"

    Regards,
    Nicolae

    Nicolae Fieraru, Apr 18, 2005

  2. The behavior you describe does not happen for me in IE 6.0.2900, Netscape
    8.0 Beta (0.9.6) or Firefox 1.0.2. Do you have any anti-cookie software
    running, or any sort of Zone Alarm type of nonsense? Do you have your
    browsers set to allow cookies?

    Ray at home

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Apr 18, 2005

  3. Hi Ray,

    I have similar scripts on other servers on the internet and they work fine
    for my computer, therefore I consider it isn't a problem of my computer
    settings. It is just this particular web server which causes me problems. I
    don't have any anticookie software on the computer.
    Thanks for your time. I suppose it didn't happen for you, and this is why it
    is even more difficult to track.

    Regards
    Nicolae

    message news:ODBf%...

    Nicolae Fieraru, Apr 18, 2005
  4. Nicolae Fieraru

    Adam Short Guest

    I too have had strange happenings with Session cookies!

    Unfortunately I don't think I've solved them!

    One thing you could try is adding the line

    Response.AddHeader "P3P", "CP=""CAO PSA OUR"""

    to the start of your script, this should tell the latest version of IE6 to
    accept session cookies. The latest version of IE now supports the P3P
    privacy policies, I think this is where problems are happening.

    Regards

    Adam

    Adam Short, Apr 20, 2005