Session Data Lost on Response.Redirect with IIS 6.0

deisner

All-

I have a Framework 2.0 application running under Windows 2003 Server
and IIS utilizing the default application pool.

On my development machine (XP w/ IIS 5.1) the code runs perfectly. But
when deployed recompiled under 2003/6.0, every time the application
gets to a Response.Redirect (happens right away when a user logs in),
the Session data is lost.

What I have investigated is this:
1. The application is not restarting
2. We've already deleted and recreated the virtual folder and
application
3. No wierd permission issues that I can see

I've seen lots of posts suggesting using Server.Transfer, but
Response.Redirect works fine under development. This is wierd. Any help
is appreciated.

-David

Guest

It could be your Application Pool settings.

If you are running in IIS6 mode, your web sites will be using Application
Pools. If your app pools are set to run using multiple processes, then cache
& session information will be inconsistently accessible to aspx pages. Check
the number of processes for your IIS 6 app pool. If it's 1, then that's the
cause. Or if different virtual dirs on your site have different pools, that
could also cause the results you see.

--Peter

deisner

Thanks Peter,

Good advice. I actually found the problem. Would you believe that my
test server had an underscore in it - something that is not recommended
by MSFT, but can be overridden. This, along with a relatively recent
security patch on Windows 2003 from MSFT, effectively blocks
page-to-page redirects on the session side. Bottom line, don't name
your servers running IIS with anything else but standard symbols.
Thanks again.