Session getting lost

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by karl, Aug 22, 2003.

  1. karl

    karl Guest

    I have several .net applications running on a webserver. I recently
    installed the patches to the system to stop the worm virus that was going
    around last week. Since that time I ran into a problem with session state.
    Prior to this each application was configured to have sessionState,
    cookieless=false. However for some reason after installing the patches one
    and only one application began to run into problems with session data not
    being available from one web page to the other. I noticed if I changed my
    client browser to have its cookie security level moved from Medium(default)
    to low it worked but as this is not the default for browsers this would not
    be a good setup.(the odd thing is the other apps are working fine) So I was
    told by a friend that he's surprised that applications ever worked and that
    it must have been a fluke. He said I needed to change the cookieless value
    to true, which partially worked but now I have issues with changing all of
    my anchor tags to be link buttons, some values still cannot be retrieved
    form session values(iframe pages), and the fact that it looks less
    professional to have the session id incorporated into the URL.

    Do you know of any reason why some apps would continue to work fine without
    changing to cookieless=false? Is it true I need to have cookiesless set to
    true in order to get client browsers to work without changing their default
    cookie level? I had messed around with trusted assemblies at one time maybe
    that had something to do with the application working but I'm not even sure
    what that does and if it would have any affect on this. Do you think I
    could simply trust the assembly somehow and it would work with cookieless
    set to false?

    Thanks

    Karl
    karl, Aug 22, 2003

  2. karl

    karl Guest

    Not necessarily but most would. I understand your point that to be positive
    not to have cookie issues then I should not use them. The whole issue with
    the Url and ability to use anchor tags is problematic. Plus I wonder why
    this happens for one app and not another.

    Actually even with cookieless set to true, I have issues receiving info from
    session. Not sure why.

    karl, Aug 24, 2003

  3. I don't suppose you could summarise your question to help me a little- give
    me the main points ... :)

    Justin

    Justin Dutoit, Aug 25, 2003
  4. Actually re-post it summarised, the group is so busy you're about 4
    screenfuls down from the top now ...

    Justin Dutoit, Aug 25, 2003