Session lost across page

Guest

What could the likely cause of a session value being lost when one navigates
to another page and attempts to write that session out:

Page 1

session("u_name") = oRS.fields("u_name")

Navigate to Page 2

Response.write Session("u_name")

....."_name" seems to be empty on Page 2.

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks
Jason

Guest

Phew! Thanks.....I take it that session variables are problmeatic....what
would you suggest is the best way to build a simple, but rich logon system
using asp 3.0 that does not use cookies...it is possible to do this by IP?

Thanks
Jason

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

No, unless you want half of AOL's subscriber base to share the same session.
http://www.aspfaq.com/2069

If your users don't trust you enough to allow a session cookie, don't let
them log in. There are kludges, of course (see the cart example in the
above article), but IMHO, they're not worth it...

Guest

What about another 'primitive' solution which assumes that one only needs
'thin' layer of protection prior to a user reaching the page:

Scenario:

A front-end navigation link is loaded with page url data and is sent to a
'pinch pont' login.asp page which checks the users email against the
database.

If found the users page url data is deposited in a page tracking table and
he is sent on his way to his desired page. If he not found, he is forced to
register and then re-login.

This approach means that the target page does not have ANY session or other
processing code...it is all done on the login.asp page which all navigation
links need to go through.

This way, I can send users directly to a web page from my emails without
having them to re-login....

What are your thoughts on this simple process.

Thanks
Jason