Session state timeout value ignored?

Jamie Schatte

Hi, I have an ASP.NET 2.0 website that uses SQL Server session state. All
works well with session state, except it seems like no matter what value I
use for the timeout in web.config, the session always times out after 20
minutes. I have upped the session timeout to 240 minutes (4 hours), deployed
the site, even restarted the web server, and still the session times out
after 20 minutes. It seems to be ignoring the timeout value in web.config.
Also, we do not set the timeout value explicitly in code anywhere. Ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Jamie Schatte
ProCare Rx
(e-mail address removed)

Guest

Well there is a second check,

Run the IIS Server Control, scroll to your web application, right click and
select properties, In directory Tab click the Configuration Button, in
Options tab you can specify your time out value.... if still the problem
persists then ur machine.config file value must be overriding the Session cfg.

Jamie Schatte

Thanks, Murtaza. I think I have it fixed...It looks like when using ASP.NET
Forms authentication mode, the timeout parameter for Forms authentication
trumps the timeout parameter for session state. I have upped the timeout
parameter for Forms authentication from its default of 30 to the desired 240
(4 hours) and deployed to the live site. It now seems like the 240 minute
timeout interval is being honored. Jamie